PDA

View Full Version : George W. bush owns an iPod

lights_sound
04-13-2005, 06:03 AM
here is an article i found on an australian news website..

HATEVER your politics, listening to The Knack's 1979 hit My Sharona and Van Morrison's classic Brown Eyed Girl may never sound the same: they are on George W.Bush's iPod.
"Ooh, my little pretty one, pretty one.
When you gonna give me some time, Sharona?"

In the US, they are calling it the "first iPod". The President was given one of the highly successful Apple music players by his twin daughters last July. It has become an indispensable exercise toy for the leader of the free world.

Unlike the early-morning constitutional walk John Howard enjoys, Mr Bush is partial to a mountain bike ride around his ranch at Crawford, Texas. The iPod helps him stay revved up, keeping his heartbeat above 170 beats a minute.

"Ooh you make my motor run, my motor run.
Gun it comin' off the line, Sharona."

Mr Bush's iPod boasts only 250 songs, well short of the 10,000 or so it can store. They were downloaded by Mark McKinnon - chief media strategist for Mr Bush's 2004 presidential campaign and a part-time biking buddy - and his personal aide, Blake Gottesman.

The New York Times reported yesterday that Mr Bush's playlist is heavy on traditional country and western singers, such as George Jones, Alan Jackson and Kenny Chesney.

But Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl is a favourite, and then there's the infamous My Sharona, which Joe Levy at Rolling Stone magazine told the New York Times was "suggestive if not outright filthy".

"When you gonna give it to me, give it to me?
It is just a matter of time, Sharona."

At the weekend, ahead of his meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, Mr Bush was at it again, pedalling around a 30km circuit on his ranch listening to his iPod.

And strapped to his wrist was a heartbeat monitor that also calculates how many calories the weight-conscious President has expended.

Asked to give his take on Mr Bush's playlist, Mr Levy said: "One thing that's interesting is that the President likes artists who don't like him.

"What we're talking about is a lot of great artists from the 60s and 70s. This is basically boomer rock 'n' roll and more recent music out of Nashville made for boomers. It's safe, it's reliable, it's loving.

What I mean to say is, it's feel-good music. The Sex Pistols it's not."

Also on the presidential iPod is Van Morrison's New Biography, Joni Mitchell's (You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care, Stevie Ray Vaughan's The House is Rockin and John Fogerty's Centerfield.

Craig R. Arko
04-13-2005, 06:10 AM
If this thread becomes even remotely political, it's gone. :)

lights_sound
04-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Just to be clear.. i posted it only because i found it interesting.. and when u read it.. he does listen to some weird music...

Craig R. Arko
04-13-2005, 08:15 AM
I listen to some weird music too.

Maybe we've found our theme here. :D

A feature in Tiger:

iChat and iTunes Integration

Show your currently playing tune in your iChat AV Status. With one click, your buddies can preview the track in the iTunes Music Store.

ShavenYak
04-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Weird music? The Knack, Van Morrison, and George Jones are not weird. If the President wants to impress me with weird, he needs to have They Might Be Giants, Southern Culture On The Skids, and My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult on his iPod.

staypuft
04-13-2005, 10:20 AM
You can show your current iTunes track in iChat now in Panther and I think Jaguar (I would check but the site is not loading for me at the moment). Just install iChatStatus
http://www.ittpoi.com/ichatstatus/

Caius
04-13-2005, 12:16 PM
You would think someone with that much money would be filling it with the 10,000 songs it can fit so he has a brilliantly wide repertoire of music to choose from.

Oh well :) (Why not use a 1GB shuffle or a 4GB Mini, mr bushly man? Its smaller ;))

staypuft
04-13-2005, 02:36 PM
YWhy not use a 1GB shuffle or a 4GB MiniProbably because it was a gift from his daughters... and his assistant purchases songs from iTMS for him. Personally, I'd take any iPod as a gift... wouldn't you?

chutem
04-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Actually I thought they were calling it Pod1 not "first iPod"

ShavenYak
04-14-2005, 08:58 AM
(Why not use a 1GB shuffle or a 4GB Mini, mr bushly man? Its smaller ;))

This is the President of the United States you're talking about here. The land of Hummers, One Pound Burgers, and 96oz Cokes. Using a 60GB iPod to carry five songs around just makes him more like the common man, who drives a 5000 pound truck back and forth to the office every day!

(this is a humorous observation, not a political statement!) :)

yellow
04-14-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't think Lynard Skynard has enough tracks to fill up a 60GB iPod. :rolleyes:

Caius
04-14-2005, 12:01 PM
This is the President of the United States you're talking about here. The land of Hummers, One Pound Burgers, and 96oz Cokes. Using a 60GB iPod to carry five songs around just makes him more like the common man, who drives a 5000 pound truck back and forth to the office every day!

(this is a humorous observation, not a political statement!) :)

Oh yeah forgot about that. But it really harms the environment!! I guess that is ok as its an Apple product :)

ArcticStones
04-14-2005, 02:53 PM
I would love to donate some good SoundBooks to George’s iPod.
Novels, mind you, and some great poetry. Perhaps from various and sundry cultures.

Ahem, nothing political, of course... :D

Photek
04-14-2005, 03:06 PM
So how long till 'our Tone' (English referance for Tony Blair) gets an ipod? he seems to have his head firmly wedged up Bush's ass and follows most things he does!! :D

yellow
04-14-2005, 03:06 PM
I would love to donate some good SoundBooks to George’s iPod.

Me too!: http://www.soundbooks.com.au/self-help11.htm

We're bordering on political bashing here.. I think it might be time to close this puppy down.