PDA

View Full Version : Bwana

NovaScotian
03-31-2005, 09:54 AM
Bwana (http://www.bruji.com/bwana/index.html) is a great little piece of software for viewing man pages in a browser, and the browser does not have to be Safari; both Firefox and Camino are among its choices. You invoke it by typing man:themanpagename as the browser address.

Unfortunately, I've managed to break it's connection to Camino so I can only use it from Safari. The break occurred on the first try too. When you run this from Camino, you get a sheet informing you that you are about to invoke an outside application for the first time. I clicked ok. It's never worked since.

Anyone familiar with this tangle?

mark hunte
03-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Very odd,
I have never used camino before.

but just tested it with Bwana.

It runs ok from the bwana app it self.

But not from terminal ??

Safari works in app and in terminal. Ok both on first try.

Firefox works in the app
and in terminal. But if the browser is not running when you do your first
call, it will not open in a man page. One the second call it does and so on..

Camino
it runs from the app ok.
in terminal
If the browser is not running then, it will open a page in camino, but not
a man page.
if you try again in terminal it while that page is open it does nothing

NovaScotian
03-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Camino
it runs from the app ok.
in terminal
If the browser is not running then, it will open a page in camino, but not
a man page.
if you try again in terminal it while that page is open it does nothing

Ditto Firefox and Safari. Both work properly if I select them in Bwana and enter the man request in the Bwana panel or with Bwana not running when I enter the man request as a browser URL. Firefox asks if it can use the requested application and then presses on when you agree.

Camino asks the same question, external app. and all that, but promptly screws up your permission and returns a blank page, so the problem is that I don't know where Camino puts that permission info so I can remove it and try again.

I haven't tried Bwana from the terminal - my objective is to avoid that to get a fully scrollable man page. I'm running a nightly, so I'll go back and download the last stable version of Camino.

mark hunte
03-31-2005, 12:03 PM
I haven't tried Bwana from the terminal - my objective is to avoid that to get a fully scrollable man page

In terminal type

open man:sed

This will open the man page in your web browser that is set in bwana.

It would be great if you could get it to open in a new sticky.

NovaScotian
03-31-2005, 12:15 PM
In terminal type

open man:sed

This will open the man page in your web browser that is set in bwana.

It would be great if you could get it to open in a new sticky.

Works perfectly from the Terminal as long as the browser is NOT Camino, i.e. is Safari or Firefox. Maybe, since I'm trying to learn some of this stuff, it's time to abandon Camino which otherwise works and go back to Safari. The alternative, of course, is to keep using Camino but use the man feature directly from Bwana - that works.

mark hunte
03-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Another tip.

When the pages open in the browser.
There is a copy of them in your /private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/
Folder

if you want them in Stickybrain 3,
go to the File->import note menu
and select import RTF text file.
Nav. to /private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/

and select one of the html files and import it. they will have the name of the man command. i.e sed.html

Once done, change the title to

MANPAGE sed

this way when you search in the 'spotlight' you can type manpage sed
and get a very narrowed down result.

NovaScotian
03-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Another tip.

When the pages open in the browser.
There is a copy of them in your /private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/
Folder

if you want them in Stickybrain 3,
go to the File->import note menu
and select import RTF text file.
Nav. to /private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/ I don't know how to do that in a standard file dialog. /private/etc. is not a choice.

...and select one of the html files and import it. they will have the name of the man command. i.e sed.html

Once done, change the title to

MANPAGE sed

this way when you search in the 'spotlight' you can type manpage sed
and get a very narrowed down result.

Instead, with the browser page open I hit Command-A to highlight the whole thing and then right-clicked to get Stickybrain's contextual menu, and "grabbed to" my unfiled folder. Then (and this is a weakness of Stickybrain) I transfer it to my ManPages folder in Stickybrain. The weakness is that the ManPages folder doesn't show in the "Stickybrain Grab to" submenu and several things I don't care about do. I've never figured out how to configure that contextual menu in Sb.

Thanks.

I just tried this with Bwana's "Index" and that's not on. It takes forever to generate the page in Safari, Firefox or Camino, and I'll die of old age before I can copy that page to the clipboard. Copying that page directly to Stickybrain failed. Rainbow wheel forever, then nothing in the data base.

hayne
03-31-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't know how to do that in a standard file dialog. /private/etc. is not a choice.

A trick:
When in a standard file dialog, press Command-Shift-G
This will open a sheet asking you to enter the path to a folder.

mark hunte
03-31-2005, 02:12 PM
right-clicked to get Stickybrain's contextual menu, and "grabbed to" my unfiled folder. Then (and this is a weakness of Stickybrain) I transfer it to my ManPages folder in Stickybrain. The weakness is that the ManPages folder doesn't show in the "Stickybrain Grab to" submenu and several things I don't care about do. I've never figured out how to configure that contextual menu in Sb

Ah just found it.

Right click on the folder icon for the Man pages in Stickybrain.
go to edit shortcut.

click Action drop down menu, and take it to grabbed selection.

now the folder will show in the Grab to submenu.
:)

cudaboy_71
03-31-2005, 02:52 PM
nice app, btw.

i'm as new to linux as most linux users are to mac. i've struggled with trying to read man pages in the terminal for a while now.

hayne
03-31-2005, 03:55 PM
i'm as new to linux as most linux users are to mac
I'm not sure, but it seems you under the misapprehension that "linux" is the name for the lower layers of OS X.
It is not.
I think you meant "Unix".
Linux is one flavour of "Unix", OS X is based on another flavour: FreeBSD.
They are similar at the shell level (commands) but quite different underneath.
You can get various versions of Linux that will run on Apple hardware but most people who run Linux do it on PC hardware.

cudaboy_71
03-31-2005, 04:14 PM
nah...i just meant that with the influx of linux users to the mac platform of late, i feel like i'm all of a sudden a n00b to a platform i've used for over 20 years---what with them flinging around terminal commands like i used to fling around 3 & 4 fingered salutes.

not to say that there hasnt been a great number of windows emigrants as well. but, i feel more at home with windows, or even DOS than i do a *nix command line--at this point anyway.

NovaScotian
03-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Ah just found it.

Right click on the folder icon for the Man pages in Stickybrain.
go to edit shortcut.

click Action drop down menu, and take it to grabbed selection.

now the folder will show in the Grab to submenu.
:)

Wonderful hint: for the first time, I've got that whole menu organized as I like it and I've removed the stuff I don't use, like Receipts. Having kept these for years on a different system, it's not worth trying to move them.

NovaScotian
03-31-2005, 04:26 PM
A trick:
When in a standard file dialog, press Command-Shift-G
This will open a sheet asking you to enter the path to a folder.
Completely unaware. Thanks.