PDA

View Full Version : Apple playfulness

Phil St. Romain
03-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, I kind of miss the smiley face at startup. That was fun! There are lots of other fun and playful things you have no doubt discovered with your Mac through the years.

One I discovered today with my new iBook (Dec. 04) is that when the slot-loading CD drive ejects a CD, it plays the first four notes of Beethodven's Fifth Symphony as on a kazoo. This just can't be coincidental, can it? Anyone else notice this?

What other fun things have you found through the year?

cwtnospam
03-17-2005, 09:23 PM
I thought the spoken "Welcome to Macintosh" was a cool feature of the early systems. This is back around '86, or was it the first Macs? In any case, it was really cool because sound on most other computers was limited to clicks and beeps.

afb
03-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Just a tiny detail, but I missed the little rainbow-colored apple of the apple menu, that is, until I learned to hack it with shapeshifter. The current apple is too big and shiny (and not just the one in the menu).

AHunter3
03-17-2005, 10:10 PM
My MacOS 10.3.8 comes with a smiling Mac as my BootX image (I hacked it manually), and my Apple Menu is eight-colored (as one of many effects of the Classic Platinum theme).

I don't recall any Macs or Systems that spoke "welcome to Macintosh" by default, but from way back when you could set custom StartupSounds and StartupScreens.

styrafome
03-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I don't think any Mac said "Welcome to Macintosh" out of the factory. On OS 9 you could drop a sound or movie into the Startup folder and it would play at boot. I'll bet that's what was going on.

voldenuit
03-18-2005, 03:19 AM
With a startupitem to play a sound file or have text to speach say "Welcome to Macintosh" (or whatever else you want to be told by your Mac) that should still be possible.

Feeding the output of fortune to TTS could be another entertaining option :D .

Phil, were you able to locate the origin of the Beethooven-Kazoo ?

If it is in the System software, all should be able to find it.
Perhaps firmware-eeprom just got bigger chips and someone managed to sneak it in ?
Remember the photo of the team in ROM on a similar occasion back in the elder days ?

cwtnospam
03-18-2005, 07:21 AM
Yeah, I don't think any Mac said "Welcome to Macintosh" out of the factory. On OS 9 you could drop a sound or movie into the Startup folder and it would play at boot. I'll bet that's what was going on.
I remember hearing it on my wife's (then girlfriend's) 512Ke. Nobody here remembers it? I know PC users knew of it, because when a Mac happened to crash, they'd speak it in a sarcastic tone. I thought it was ironic since their systems couldn't speak a word.

Phil St. Romain
03-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Phil, were you able to locate the origin of the Beethooven-Kazoo ?

I haven't a clue. It's not anything you can control with Sound settings, so it must be hard-wired in somewhere. Maybe it's just a coincidence, after all.

How about someone else with a new iBook give it a try. I wonder if the new Powerbooks do it.

styrafome
03-18-2005, 11:12 AM
I remember hearing it on my wife's (then girlfriend's) 512Ke. Nobody here remembers it? I know PC users knew of it, because when a Mac happened to crash, they'd speak it in a sarcastic tone. I thought it was ironic since their systems couldn't speak a word.

That's not what I remember. Macs never "spoke in a sarcastic tone" about crashing, but the PC users were the ones speaking sarcastically. It's because the Macs had a startup chime and the PCs didn't. Here is a re-creation of an 1990's office's ambient sounds while troubleshooting a PC and a Mac:

First we have an office in which a pre-XP PC is crashing every 2 minutes:
(Normal office noise)
"Hey how's it goin"
(Normal office noise)
"I'm gonna help Fred with his PC, it's crashing all the time"
(Normal office noise)
"Oh really, I was wondering. He did seem like he was in a bad mood"
(Normal office noise)
"Yeah, see you in the lunchroom"
(Normal office noise)

Now we have the same office where a pre-OS X Mac is crashing every 2 minutes:
(BONGGGG!!!!) throughout the entire office...
"Hey how's it goin"
(BONGGGG!!!!)
"I'm gonna help Fred with his Mac, it's crashing all the time"
(BONGGGG!!!!)
"Oh I know, the sound from Fred's cubicle is driving me nuts. I don't know why we have those Macs. They cost more and they obviously crash all the time. We should get rid of them."
(BONGGGG!!!!)
"Yeah, see you in the lunchroom"
(BONGGGG!!!!)

The playing field is more level now because OS X doesn't crash and Windows XP has its own startup sound, but in the 90's, being a Mac user with an unstable system could really mark you in an office, and the startup chime didn't help Apple's image one bit.

cwtnospam
03-18-2005, 12:43 PM
That's not what I remember. Macs never "spoke in a sarcastic tone" about crashing

It wasn't a startup tone. It happened at the end of startup, when the system became available. I didn't mean that the Macs were sarcastic. I meant that PC users would say it sarcastically if they saw a Mac crash, so they must have heard the Mac say it. Has no one here heard it?

voldenuit
03-18-2005, 02:15 PM
PowerMacs (old world) make an extremely scary noise when they feel not in harmony with important parts of their hardware.

You'll have to listen to it in MacTracker as the forum doesn't allow any audio format as an upload.

Las_Vegas
03-18-2005, 06:10 PM
That depends on the particular Mac. Some use a 4 tone warning where others, such as the first PowerMacs, sound like a car crash (squealing tires followed by a collision). I assume the later is what you're referring to?