PDA

View Full Version : How have Apple Computers affected your lives?

afro_puff
03-17-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm doing a report/presentation for one of my business classes regarding Apple Computers and its 'cult' following. So if you would be so kind as to provide a story or two regarding a situation where knowing about Apple Computers or having an Apple Computer has helped you in some way or another I would be very thankful. An example of how it has helped me is as follows...

I was looking for an apartment in boston on craigslist and I saw about 4 that were interesting. Since I am in school most of the day and procrastinate most of the evening I emailed the residents of these prospective apartments pretty late at night. At 1am I got a reply from one of the people saying that I could swing by any time the next day. So when I get over there I notice that she had a G4, so I sparked up a conversation regarding what she did. She was a graphic artist and we chatted back and forth for about 10 minutes just about Apple and how great they are and other typical 'Apple Speak.' At one point she told me that she got tons of responses that night regarding her apartment, but because my email was a mac.com address she said that she emailed me first because she normally found mac users to be more down to earth.

In the end I didn't get the apartment, but if I did like it it would have all been because she gave me the first crack at it because I'm a mac user!

Any stories like this, no matter how big or small would be very appreciated!

bedouin
03-17-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't have a long story for you . . . all I can say is that I was a c64 user from approximately 1985 to 1988, and then a PC user until 2002. When it comes to completing creative tasks (writing, video editing, anything . . .) I feel like the Mac is so much more friendly. Windows has this kind of corporate stigma in its UI; I can't really explain it. I didn't quite understand it until one day I sat in front of a PC at a school lab to write a short paper, and was totally unmotivated -- simply because of the interface.

Macs encourage people to use computers as tools to express themselves; they've always been about that. PCs are corporate machines; they encourage business and authoritarian structure. Why else does Windows have all those annoying wizards and pop-ups? It's an OS for the person who needs told what and how to do everything, to the point where it interferes with the creative process (i.e. "It looks like you're writing a letter).

cwtnospam
03-17-2005, 09:41 PM
The Mac has changed my life by allowing me to do the things I want to do. I don't have to work on my Mac, I work with it. The way I see it, there is no cult of Mac. There is only a PC cult that is lead by IT Priests. These Priests lead a flock of sheep by keeping blinders on them, discouraging them from considering other, better alternatives. That's the only reason I can come up with for people sticking with an OS as troublesome and insecure as Windows.

afro_puff
03-17-2005, 09:45 PM
These are great stories! Thank you very much, keep them coming if you can!

AHunter3
03-17-2005, 10:30 PM
In 1986 my experiences with computers had been dismal and I was convinced I'd always hate them. Then a professor dragged us all off to get introduced to the Mac. Once I'd seen how to do cut, copy, and paste in MacWrite, I was sold. I walked out with a default System 3 and MacWrite and my trial document in my pocket on my first 3.5" diskette.

Fast forward 6 months and I'm the editor of the campus newspaper, which previously had been published using this massively huge Linotype machine we had back in the corner. Someone said "Why not just adjust the margins in MacWrite to make columns?" and after a bit of experimentation we were having all contributors submit their work as MacWrite documents, which were pasted into our template and converted to Times 12 point. We printed the columns out on a LaserWriter (the original) and snipped them with a razor blade to continue to the next column at the bottom of the sheet and glued them down with spot glue. Our turnaround time was 1/10 of what the previous versions of the student newspaper had been, and I'd ushered in the era of Macintosh-centered desktop publishing by simply stumbling across it.

PageMaker, and then Quark, to replace doing layout with scissors and glue, came later.

Oh, and we had an outgoing telephone message on our answering machine spoken by our Mac: "Hello, this is the Catalyst and no one is available to take your call. I imagine you'd rather be speaking with a person. I know how you feel: I'd rather be speaking to a machine. Leave a message and someone will get back to you." In an era where computers did not talk, it seriously freaked some folks out. :)

voldenuit
03-18-2005, 03:57 AM
Not exactly my life, and quite some time ago, but still:

My father had been struggling for several weeks to get some DOS 3.3 laptop to work the IT department had generously provided with a tutorial program to learn those extremely intuitve command lines. While reasonably intelligent, he failed to get any use out of the darn thing.

Some time later, he dropped by where I was working at the time with some overhead slides and asked me if we could cook up some stuff his secretary didn't manage to produce.

After some photoshopping on my Mac II ci, he went out of this session saying "That was really easy, I could have done that too."
He bought an LC 475 shortly after that, now has a dual G5 and is a very happy user.

winwintoo
03-18-2005, 07:28 AM
I'm a retired computer programmer so I've been using computers in one way or another since the mid 60s and since the late 80s a lot of my job was working on Macs with some OS/2 and Windows thrown in. At home I've owned several Macs and talked one of my sisters into buying an iMac.

During all this time, my Mom, who's in her 80s now, has been interested in computers but always said she was too old to use one. Mom is very independent, so she doesn't spend much time with either my sister or me, but a couple of years ago, we visited my brother in Houston and while he was at work, I sat her down in front of his computer and showed her some of the things it could do - including a slot machine game.

Well, she was hooked.

When we returned home, I gave her an older iMac that I wasn't using and it has changed her life. Now she is able to email all her children and grandchildren and keep in touch with extended family that she would not be able to reach otherwise. She is even using TextEdit to write her memories.

Having a computer has changed Mom's life tremendously. That fact that it's a Mac makes life very uncomplicated for my sister and me - since we are the ones who have to maintain it for her, and as we all know, maintaining a Mac and keeping it humming along is easy as pie.

Margaret

cameranerd74
03-21-2005, 09:43 AM
My first family computer was an Atari 800XL. Yes, Atari did once make computers. Our next family computer was a Packard Bell 486SX with DOS and Win3.1 on it. I wanted a Macintosh sooooooooooo bad, but my parents said we couldn't afford it. I finally got my first Mac in 1999, an iMac DV, and I've been a die hard Apple user ever since. I attended my first Macworld this year (2005) and was completely blown away!!! For me, Macworld was kind of like heaven on earth. :)

I have been a photographer for the last 9 years and the Mac has literally been the second most used tool in the industry (the first being the camera). Last year, I decided to make a career change and go back to school to finish my degree in IT (after dropping out in 1996). I'm currently attending night classes and working on my degreee and certifications. I am now certified by Microsoft, but I still use a Mac every day... and prefer a Mac for most tasks. Believe it or not, the Mac was the driving force that propelled me to get back into IT... I spent so much time hacking my Mac, I decided to try to learn more, and started taking some classes... before long, I was re-enrolled in school... so if nothing else... the Mac has changed my life by directing my career.

afro_puff
03-24-2005, 12:03 PM
My presentation is on Tuesday and will hopefully be able to weave some/all of these great stories into my presentations!

chutem
03-24-2005, 12:33 PM
If its not too late...Mac allowed me to set up a cluster computer in about 8 hours. I am not an IT guy but because of Apples legendary ease of use I was able to go from 6 boxes of Xserves to a working cluster with Xserve RAID in less than 8 hours. I don't want to know how long it would have taken me (a molecular biologist)to set up the equivalent in Linux or Windows. Additionally I can now administrate the cluster as well because of the GUI. Computing doesn't have to be painful...buy a mac :D