PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to a mac mini from an Powermac G4/466

Crispychris
03-17-2005, 03:42 AM
My old G4/466 is feeling its age. I do a lot of video editing and DVD encoding. Takes forever to encode...set it running and wait a day or so!!
So.. will a Mac mini G4 1.25Ghz give me a good speed bump for little cash?
I will also have to fork out for a few USB hard drive caddys , a good USB2 hub, 1Gb of memory and a DVI/ADC converter. By my reckoning is that will set me back about 600. what do you think? :)

mclbruce
03-17-2005, 04:46 AM
Offhand I'd say you might do better with a used dual processor machine. I'm no expert though...

JakeR
03-17-2005, 05:39 AM
My brother recently moved from a PC to a Mac mini. I set it up for him, and its performance is significantly better than my G4/450.

That said, I agree that you could do significantly better with a used dual G4 from eBay. And if you do, I strongly recommend getting a USB 2.0 PCI card instead of a hub -- they're cheaper, and they take less desk space too. :-)

I assume that the 600 is supposed to cover the Mini as well as the add-ons, right? [URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51035&item=5759601936&rd=1]Here's a good alternative.[/URL

A little pricier, but should be a very strong performer by comparison. A search for "dual G4" on eBay reveals lots of alternatives.

-Jake

Photek
03-17-2005, 06:24 AM
If it were me........ I wouldn't buy a second hand dual g4 off ebay because they always go for a really high price, if you can get one cheap GREAT! But a mini is a quick little machine, its no Dual 2.5 G5....... but I produce around 32 magazines a year on a 1.42mhz mini with 512 ram and it runs, photoshop, indesign, acrobat pro, font agent, excel, mail and safari, all the time with no hitches.

voldenuit
03-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Obviously, for what you're doing, a dual G5 is the machine of choice if budget permits.

If you need to pull it off cheap, the mini is an option, however I'd recommend:

- FireWire over USB2. slightly less cheap, but a lot more real-world speed.
- don't use the dog-slow internal disk of the mini for anything but backups, boot off a FW drive.

As you get to keep your old machine, you could very well have the mini do the rendering and use the old one for e-mail (IMAP), browsing...

Crispychris
03-17-2005, 09:30 AM
- don't use the dog-slow internal disk of the mini for anything but backups, boot off a FW drive.
Is it the speed of the drive that you boot off that is the key factor? I thought that if I kept the all video files on the firewire drive that would be enough to bypass the slow internal drive.

voldenuit
03-17-2005, 09:36 AM
It is not key, but a FW drive will run about twice as fast as the internal one, so it really doesn't hurt...

When it starts swapping, the difference will be even more noticable.

cwtnospam
03-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Obviously, for what you're doing, a dual G5 is the machine of choice if budget permits.

I rarely do anything as demanding as video editing, but I love my dual G5. It's so snappy that even my wife's G5 iMac seems a little slow next to it. Voldenuit is right. If you can afford one, get a Dual G5 (mine's 2 Ghz) and stick at least a Gig of RAM in it. You'll be very happy.

cameranerd74
03-17-2005, 02:09 PM
My old G4/466 is feeling its age... will a Mac mini G4 1.25Ghz give me a good speed bump for little cash?

Yes. It will be significantly faster than your 466. It's hard to turn it down for the price.

Crispychris
03-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Another idea.. possibly better still
Sonnet Encore ST Duet Dual G4/1.3GHz 2MB cache AGP.. 506
might not look so cool or be as quiet but hopefully much faster.

will the 133MHz bus speed limit things?

jeffo
03-17-2005, 06:43 PM
I would still go with the mini over the upgrade card, that way you could have your work horse(mini) and leave that one rendering or whatever and use the other one (current machine) while the mini is busy. I would also suggest to use firewire over usb 2. the specs for usb2 are faster ten firewire 400 (what the mini has), but all the real world tests i have seen show that firewire 400 is still faster. i also think that the internal drive in the mini would be just fine for booting from, but i would definately suggest to use an external drive for the video files, maybe even two of them software striped together for some more speed.