PDA

View Full Version : April Fools!

derekhed
03-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Ok, it's coming up! What are some fun ideas for tormenting fellow OS X users? Assuming you have some control over their computers that is... ;)

How about a script that shuts their computer down called from crontab's @reboot?

Or random windows popping up with quotes from Emac's Zippy the Pinhead? :)

G5from128k
03-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Plug in a second, hidden, USB mouse and move it around whilst the victim tries to work or play a game.

chutem
03-16-2005, 07:14 PM
If it is a newer mac use a wireless mouse and keyboard to take over. Or just unplug the keyboard so it won't work...think about it how often do you check to see if it is plugged in...I did this to a friend of mine and he freaked...

derekhed
03-16-2005, 07:16 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to link expose to the 'e' key?

cudaboy_71
03-16-2005, 10:56 PM
my old go to:

do a full screen cap (cmd-shift-3)--better with some windows open.

open it up in photoshop, blow it up to 100%, put it in fullscreen mode (the bottom right doohickie at the bottom of the toolbar), hide the rulers, and hit tab to hide the pallates. now just set the tool to the 'path selection tool' youre done.

looks just like the regular desktop. i've had some of my 'marks' pulling their hair out for well over 30 minutes.

oh...and if you wanna be REALLY devious. put this applescript in their startup items:

tell application "finder"
shutdown
end tell

derekhed
03-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Ah, the two timeless standbys! :-)

How about switching their keyboard to Dvorak through the International Keyboard Pref?

Or find all the text files in the Documents folder and pipe it to this script:
#! /bin/sh

tr '[a-m][n-z][A-M][N-Z]' '[n-z][a-m][N-Z][A-M]' < $1 1>temp1;

mv temp1 $1;

cameranerd74
03-17-2005, 02:30 PM
I did this last year... It only works if you have VNC installed though....

I VNC'd my boss's workstation while he was doing some data entry and kept moving the mouse to a different part of the screen. After he started to get frustrated, I started changing his data entries... He could not figure out what was going on. All the employees sat around my desk and got a great laugh. :D

I should add.... please don't do this on any data that's mission critical.

Phil St. Romain
03-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Set up VNC server on someone's computer on your network. Launch the Client and mess around when they're doing something -- like move the mouse just a tad to the side after they move it somewhere. Let them see it happen, but nothing too obvious. Then, after awhile, just start making circles with the cursor. I got my son with this one last year, so much so that he hollered out from his room that he thought his Mac had a virus and for me to come and see. :D

cameranerd74
03-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Guess Phil and I have something in common... look at the last 2 posts. :p

Phil St. Romain
03-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Oh gee, I missed that. I had this window open from the morning with derek's at the bottom. But, yeah, great fun. :)

acme.mail.order
03-21-2005, 12:57 AM
One of my favs was an early windows IM system (w95, forget the name) that popped up a standard alert box with your message. As it looked like a regular error box, a message saying "Warning: the radiation shield in your monitor has failed. Move away from your computer as fast as possible!" got interesting results.

cudaboy_71
03-24-2005, 05:00 PM
that can be done in osx pretty easily by adapting this hint (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2005021010302911) :D

if you're too lazy to click a link, here's the code...just enable remote events in the sharing pane of the 'victim' and replace the computer name, password & IPs in the script:

tell application "Finder"
display dialog "Choose computer:" buttons ¬
{"Workstation_1", "Workstation_2"} default button 2
if the button returned of the result is "Workstation_1" then
set machine_chosen to "eppc://Workstation_1:password@192.168.1.45"
else
set machine_chosen to "eppc://Workstation_2:password@192.168.1.46"
end if
display dialog "" default answer "How are you doing?" buttons ¬
{"Cancel", "Send"} default button 2
copy the result as list to {text_returned, button_pressed}
end tell

tell application "Finder" of machine machine_chosen
activate
beep
display dialog text_returned buttons {"Cancel", "OK"} ¬
default button 2 giving up after 30
set the clipboard to the text_returned
end tell

CAlvarez
03-25-2005, 02:25 PM
My plan is to boot Pear PC on a few people's machines and tell them I upgraded them to a Mac (current Windows users).

ArcticStones
03-28-2005, 09:01 AM
What I would REALLY like to see, is a newspaper editor (or serious online news site), do a COMPLETE April 1st issue. Think of it, an entire newspaper that "announces" desired developments (national and international), as well as wildly entertaining "news". Here are a few possibilities:

Technology/Medicine/Science: the announcement of laptop batteries that last 8 hours; the announcement of a dietary cure for cancer; a ban against SUVs that have unreasonably high gas consumption; announcement of a national program to give all high school and junior high school students free laptops (Mac or PC, their choice); Microsoft deciding to accellerate the development of Longhorn by going open source; pharmaceutical corporations deciding to make aids treatment drugs freely available to the third world ...

Economic/Corporate: Corporations taking economic responsibility for past and president misconduct: Dow Chemical and Union Carbide offering sizeable economic compensation to families in Bhopal, India; Japanese companies involved in exploitation of Amazon forests deciding to establish a national park instead; Enron’s former CEO taking full responsibility and making amends by donating 99% of his personal assets to recompensate workers who lost pension funds etc.; Chase Manhattan spearheading a successful effort to impose a modest voluntary fee of 0,05% on all internationa currency transfers, purchases and sales -- with the money to be used for international development.
Mr Bush doing an astonishing turnaround, deciding to appoint the socially aware Bono as head of the World Bank, rather than Paul Wolfowitz.

Political: Robert Mugabe resigning as president of Zimbabwe; Mr Putin apologising for the assassination of Chechen leader Aslan Maskhadov and deciding to negotiate for a peaceful settlement; Israel withdrawing totally from the West Bank and Gaza and moving its security wall to the internationally recognized border; major Jewish and Palestinian editors announcing the launch of a joint newspaper to be published with the same contents in both a Hebrew and Arabic edition; Hamas announcing that henceforth it will restrain its activities to the improvement of Palestinian society; OPEC countries establishing an international fund to rapidly build Palestinian infrastructure, educational institutions etc.;
the military leadership resigning en masse in Myanmar, and Aung Saan Su Kyi; the IRA and the various Ulster Protestant equivalents making a joint announcement to dissolve themselves; a joint statement by the world’s 10 largest arms exporters announcing that they will no longer export weapons; an announcement by ant-personnel landmine producers that they will stop production -- and cover medical treatment of all civilians harmed in the last 15 yearsK; Mr Bush withdrawing his Social Security reform, and instead announcing his support for national public health insurance; and at the same time increasing the minimum wage by 50% ...

I can think of no better way for an editor to take the limelight and contribute to a positive public debate -- nationally and internationally. It would guaranteed make waves!

Imagine it! A complete issue of the New York Times, or even The San Jose Mercury News.

Perhaps slightly off topic, but it’s a beatuiful thought. :)

Sincerely,
ArcticStones
Bergen, Norway

cameranerd74
03-28-2005, 09:24 AM
My plan is to boot Pear PC on a few people's machines and tell them I upgraded them to a Mac (current Windows users).

Now that's funny!! :p

fat elvis
03-28-2005, 05:02 PM
I plan on replacing every mouse ball in my vicinity with those beef balls that come with pho...oh yeah, I just put in my two weeks notice here.

bwaaahahahahaaaaahaaaaaaaa