PDA

View Full Version : No longer hiring windows users

theladyboo
03-09-2005, 09:31 AM
From now on I will only hire those who use a Macintosh. Windows users need not apply. During our recent release schedule two of our editors were infected or hacked. This caused a big delay and problem in releases.

My information is too valuable to be lost over an operating system with so many holes.

Are there any English majors out there who use OSX and Microsoft Word who would like to apply for either an editing or proofreading job, please email me at rebeccap@chippewapublishing.com

All positions are royalty based.

Thanks,
Rebecca

voldenuit
03-09-2005, 09:48 AM
That sounds like a smart move.

You sure have it all worked out how to shield your new editors against evil Macros and VB-nasties from other Word documents ?

One step in the right direction...

theladyboo
03-09-2005, 09:51 AM
OMG. Please do not tell me that VB can be excuted from a Mac MS Word document. Please don't tell me that. Can MS Word share VB scripts from a Mac to Windows??

MS Word is the only word processor with the proper editing tools.

Sigh.

Give up a feature to get a feaure.

hayne
03-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Macros are disabled by default in MS Office. I believe you would have to manually enable them in the Preferences before you would be vulnerable to macro viruses.

schneb
03-09-2005, 11:22 AM
As a writer, I always appreciate a good book cover. Though I am a Christian and would not read "Of Elves and Vampires" due to content, I love the cover--it is absolutely gorgeous. You can't tell a book by its cover--but who cares? Great illustration and photography are their own reward.

theladyboo
03-09-2005, 12:06 PM
As a writer, I always appreciate a good book cover. Though I am a Christian and would not read "Of Elves and Vampires" due to content, I love the cover--it is absolutely gorgeous. You can't tell a book by its cover--but who cares? Great illustration and photography are their own reward.

Thank you very much :-). We have some very talented artists and authors. I would recommend them for any project.

No, you would not enjoy the content. We do accept inspy, spiritual, motivational and religious fiction, although many authors who write in the above genres do not want to list books on the same site. You are welcome to submit if you do not have a problem.

cameranerd74
03-09-2005, 12:23 PM
I have always thought the Mac shines for Publishing... not just Layout and Photo, but writing/editing too. Personally, I like Office:Mac 2004 better than Office 2003 for Windows.

CAlvarez
03-09-2005, 01:06 PM
I like Office:Mac 2004 better than Office 2003 for Windows.
Me too. A lot. Same with PhotoShop. I'm sitting in a PhotoShop class today where they provide Windows desktops for those that didn't bring their own machines, and PS for Windows is just damn ugly. Interesting that all the features work exactly the same though, the only difference being CMD vs CTRL keys.

voldenuit
03-09-2005, 02:19 PM
OMG. Please do not tell me that VB can be excuted from a Mac MS Word document. Please don't tell me that. Can MS Word share VB scripts from a Mac to Windows?? I am sorry to report that, yes.
You can get a glimpse of the amount of havoc it is possible to wreak by looking at this thread I picked at random:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=29573&highlight=visual+basic

Deselecting the VB-component (and while we are there, the stoned Mac+ "Assistant" constantly trying to outsmart you) right in the installer is advisable for safety and sanity.

schneb
03-09-2005, 05:04 PM
You are welcome to submit if you do not have a problem.My stuff is more instructional than fictional. You can have a look at my style at my Web site (http://www.schneblin.com/studies/). Currently I am in the process of getting my CD project (http://www.holylandvirtualtour.com) into retail stores. (hooo retail boxes can be pricey!)

theladyboo
10-31-2006, 01:42 PM
My stuff is more instructional than fictional. You can have a look at my style at my Web site (http://www.schneblin.com/studies/). Currently I am in the process of getting my CD project (http://www.holylandvirtualtour.com) into retail stores. (hooo retail boxes can be pricey!)

Hey, I didn't see this! That's a very nice page and a nice looking product. We're putting some of our fiction out on html cds. I'm wondering how the response has been for this type of product for you? Do you list them at electronic stores? Book stores?

Thanks,
Reb

Jay Carr
10-31-2006, 11:30 PM
I have a sister with a Mac book who is an awesome editor (does all my papers anyway, they've gone from low B's to high A's under her pen.) I'll send her this link and see if she's interested...

theladyboo
11-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Hey thanks!

schneb
11-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Sorry I never answered the reply above. So I will answer it now. ;)

Right now, the CD-ROM is electronic sales only. I demonstrate it for churches when given the opportunity (then they sell like hotcakes).

Last Christmas, the publishing company Thomas Nelson, bundled it with their eBible and sold it in Costco. They sold 80% of the stock, which they said was fantastic. Not sure how much of that was due to my CD, but they added it to set it apart from the Sam's Club package. So I gather my CD had alot to do with the good response.

I need to send copies to other publishers, but I am finding it hard to get in gear on this. :(