PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the Past Department

AHunter3
03-03-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm posting this from my new vintage '98 PowerBook, which I scored for $160 to use while my old vintage '98 Powerbook is in the shop for a ribbon cable replacement and a new PRAM battery.

Being in a nostalic mood, I'm booted into the oldest OS I actually used on a WallStreet, MacOS 8.1... I'm posting using Netscape 3.0.1...

This same computer will boot MacOS X 10.3.8 very nicely.

Anyone have a computer accomodating a wider range of Mac operating systems? I guess a pre-G3 PowerMac that's been accelerated and XPostFacto'd might be able to go back to the later versions of System 7 and still boot the Panther, but does anyone here actually have such a rig, and if so, do you still actually have the System 7 System Folder to boot from?

AHunter3
03-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Replying to myself from Shiira in Panther, same computer.

Things that have spanned the ages very nicely, aside from the WallStreet itself:

a) The app "Remember?", Dave Warker. The version of the program that runs under MacOS 8.1 can read the same appointment files as the version that runs under 10.3.8, and therefore also 8.6 and 9.0.4 and 10.2.8. No matter which volume I boot from, there my scheduled calendared events are, right in front of me. I've been using this since it was a Disk Accessory and I'm very happy that he's kept on with it all this time. It's not multiuser but for a single-user scheduling and calendaring tool it's pretty cool.

b) Eudora. Version 5.0 will run under MacOS 8.1 and make use of all the settings and filters and mailboxes that get used by MacOS 10.3.8 and all the others inbetween (most of them using Eudora 6 but 8.6 and 8.1 using Eudora 5). So again, no matter which volume I boot from, there's my email. Go QualComm. Great, wonderful email program. Power without bloat and without glitzy doodads.

c) VirtualPC, at least as of version 6. Version 3 runs effectively under MacOS 8.1 through 9.0.4 and can utlilize the same virtual hard disks that I reference under VPC 6 under Panther. (One exception to date: FreeBSD loses the ability to display at higher resolution under VPC3, due I guess to differences in the emulated video hardware). Dunno if Microsoft has managed to screw it up, having not as of yet bought VPC7. There's something almost surreal about running Windows 2000 Server in emulation under MacOS 8.1 though.

jeffo
03-04-2005, 09:03 AM
currently, my biggest range of OSes is on a G3-AIO. i have OS 8.6 and 9.2.2 and X.2.8 on it. it is a very dedicated machine basically running a few different programs that require each of those OSes.

voldenuit
03-04-2005, 09:20 AM
When it comes to the number of major OS revisions supported by a single machine, nothings comes even close to the Mac+:

Anything from 1.1 to 7.5.5 goes.

No amount of upgrading and xpostfacto-ing will get it ready for OS X though.

But a bit of OS 6 snappiness is something very enjoyable to look at from time to time.

cudaboy_71
03-04-2005, 12:21 PM
/stares up at the m0001 128 running system 1 & lode runner as a screen saver.
/smirks

i love that little thing.

there's a b/w G3 400 sitting in the corner with 9.2.2 & 10.3.4 on it at the moment. IIRC 8.6 shipped with it. i promised my teen niece i'd get it ready for her by this weekend. i guess i better get rolling. poor thing's been running ME on a very tired dell 350 for probably as long as she can remember.

AHunter3
03-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah, those early "toaster Macs" (the Plus and the SE) had an astonishing range of operating systems they would run. (The SE didn't ship with an OS as ancient as System 1.1, but it would boot it if you had a copy).

To be fair, Apple zipped through Systems 1, 2, 3, and 4* at a rapid pace before hitting System 6 and staying there awhile. Even taking that into account, I'd say the Mac Plus holds the record. (Also for the number of years that Apple sold them, if I recall correctly. No other single model was available as a new computer from Apple for as long a stretch).

* Yeah, I skipped System 5. There really wasn't a System 5. In the early days, the System had one version number and the Finder had its own separate version number; at some point in the System 4 era, Apple started calling the System and Finder collectively "System Tools 5", but the version number of the System file itself was still 4.x. (4.1? 4.2?). The next numbered/versioned System file was System 6 and from that point on the System and the Finder always had a version number in common. So since the "System Tools" nomenclature was only used for one release, and in all other circumstances the system number refers to the version number of the System file, I dissent from any proposition that we should think of "System Tools 5 consisting of System 4 and Finder 5.1 or whatever" as System 5.