PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Air: Ding is PC only!!

cwtnospam
02-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Southwest Airlines just came out with software they call Ding that is supposed to help users get better airfares, but it doesn't run on a Mac. I think it would be a good idea to ask them why and let them know how you feel about this.
http://www.southwest.com/help/luvbook.html

:rolleyes:

staypuft
02-28-2005, 11:43 AM
I took at Ding on their site... and honestly, I don't see it as being something I would want even it was available for the Mac.

cwtnospam
02-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I took at Ding on their site... and honestly, I don't see it as being something I would want even it was available for the Mac.
Maybe not, but it's supposed to provide users with better prices. Even if I didn't want it, I don't like the idea of letting them lock out Mac users.

staypuft
02-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Maybe not, but it's supposed to provide users with better prices. Even if I didn't want it, I don't like the idea of letting them lock out Mac users.If that is the case, then yes they should offer it to Mac users, but it sounded to me like it just show you the current prices from their website. Which saves you the hassle of going to the site and looking, but doesn't get you a special deal that others can't get. I guess somebody will have to install it on a PC and let us know ;-)

ChuckR
02-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Southwest also offers access to Movielink, which is supposed to provide a free movie download to those who sign up for their Rewards program.
Of course, upon going to the Movielink site to download said movie, after getting an access code, the Mac user is informed in no uncertain terms that he/she is using an Incompatible Operating System and Browser; that Movielink ONLY supports Windows and NOT Mac or Linux. The same information appears on the FAQ page for the Ding app.
SWA publishes a snail mail address for comments, no email.

CAlvarez
02-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Southwest sucks in so many other ways...who cares... But it's a matter of market share and value, not some choice to discriminate against certain people. If there were enough Mac users to make it worth their while, they'd do it.

Irene
02-28-2005, 09:45 PM
I like Southwest (except for their misguided computer platform compatability issues for the Ding and Movie programs). The flight crew joke with the passengers rather than try to boss us, and they generally get me where I'm going on time.

cwtnospam
03-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Southwest sucks in so many other ways...who cares... But it's a matter of market share and value, not some choice to discriminate against certain people. If there were enough Mac users to make it worth their while, they'd do it.
There's no excuse for not using Java, HTML, XML and/or some other cross platform method of doing what they're trying to do. They're just selling tickets. It's not like they're trying to develop a new drug or cure childhood diseases. Oh, wait! Both Folding@home and d2ol.com are cross platform. Well, it's not like they have the money to make it cross platform. Oh, wait! Both Folding and d2ol combined couldn't scrape together the petty cash Southwest has.

The problem is that they think there aren't enough interested Mac users. That's why it's important that they hear from us.

schneb
03-01-2005, 11:05 AM
For pity sake, just make it a Dashboard Widget. What's wrong with these people? Doesn't anyone want to be cutting edge?

Seems only Apple cares about creating quality products these days.

fat elvis
03-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Quality products, this thread is about Southwest...the airline that gives you salted peanuts and half a soda.

It's true that sending feedback would be a good idea. But who's going to volunteer to print this out and mail it in an envelope :eek:

SC_shooter
03-01-2005, 11:27 AM
I guessing that they can't suck any worse than USAir. At least they are fairly cheap. USAIr both sucks and has outrageous fares. But that's probably not going to be a problem much longer, when they go teats up.

schneb
03-01-2005, 12:14 PM
...or as Mike Meyers put it when doing a Scottish accent, "Tetssop".