PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini!?

Twelve Motion
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
I just got the new macworld and read about the Mac Mini I couldn't believe it! For those of you that don't know. It's a new computer it's demensions are 6.5x6.5x2 and it has all the holes of a standard mac. It comes in 2 speeds G4 1.5 or G4 2.5 approx and has a 40 or 80GB drive. All for only 499! It can finally compete with PC in price range! I am so excited about this.

CAlvarez
02-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Heh. That's funny. This forum has been talking about it non-stop since a couple weeks before it was introduced. Many of us have one.

This kinda proves that comment about tech magazines being behind forums by a month or more.

Twelve Motion
02-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Oh no kidding? I must have missed all those posts. For those of you that have them, are they awesome?

manic_mouse
02-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I just got the new macworld and read about the Mac Mini I couldn't believe it! For those of you that don't know. It's a new computer it's demensions are 6.5x6.5x2 and it has all the holes of a standard mac. It comes in 2 speeds G4 1.5 or G4 2.5 approx and has a 40 or 80GB drive. All for only 499! It can finally compete with PC in price range! I am so excited about this.

ummm.. little off there... the sppeds are 1.25ghz or 1.42ghz... you must have been living under a rock to miss the mac mini... have u heard of the iPod shuffle?

CAlvarez
02-23-2005, 08:58 PM
They're cute, and tiny. As far as performance and features, they're a lot like a G4 from back when a 1.25 or 1.42 was the norm. I don't think it's anything special other than the size and somewhat low cost. Not to put it down or anything, but we're not talking any major breakthroughs here.

yellow
02-23-2005, 09:53 PM
I think one of the true nice things about the (I agree, not amazingly special) mini is the price. I've been hearing a lot of buzz about 'maybe I'll get one to check it out' from the PC folks at work who spend a good portion of every meeting scoffing at my PB.

CAlvarez
02-23-2005, 09:58 PM
That's very true, and something I've heard from a few people. A lot of them have figured out that an eMac or used iMac is a better deal though.

MBHockey
02-23-2005, 10:00 PM
At least now they're thinking about the possibilities... :)

schneb
02-24-2005, 04:51 PM
I sold my 800mhz iMac and used the money to get the Mini. I needed the extra power for some of the video I was doing. I like the fact that I can choose the monitor, mouse and keyboard. I also like the fact that I can take it up my narrow stairs without breaking my back.

cameranerd74
02-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Oh no kidding? I must have missed all those posts. For those of you that have them, are they awesome?

A (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=34310) quick (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=33687) search (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=33524) would've (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=32741) been (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=35208) helpful (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=35253)

narf
02-28-2005, 06:29 AM

quite. i bought two 1.42s (upgraded to 1gig in one, and 512 in the other). with those i replaced two P4 3.2ghz machines. no more spyware, no more virus threats, and a breathtakingly beautiful interface that "just works".

The machines are virtually completely silent, incredibly unobtrusive, and damned good looking.

From someone who never before used a mac - im quite pleased.

The PCs are now gaming rigs exclusively - completely reinstalled the OSs, and tightened the firewall rules to only allow games. They work for that purpose - but refuse to use them for much else.

schneb
02-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Same with my laptop PC. Gaming only. However, my wife needs it for homeschooling because our homeschooling group's website will kick you out unless you use nothing but IE on Windows. I called them lazy for not going cross-platform and I got reemed by them in a forum post. I stand by my assertion.

cameranerd74
03-01-2005, 08:37 AM
I called them lazy for not going cross-platform and I got reemed by them in a forum post. I stand by my assertion.

Agreed. I hate it when people make sites exclusive to IE on Windows. I think that's bad development. There's a lot of organizations (churches, non-profits, schools, etc.) that use Linux because they don't have the budget for Windows. Let alone alienating the entire Mac community. It's bad customer service if you ask me.

schneb
03-01-2005, 11:01 AM
And its worse than that. I am able to "fool" the website in thinking that Safari is actually IE on Windows. What is frustrating is the site works 95% of the time and all the files they offer are on MSOffice. So why do they perposely shut us out!? As far as I'm concerned, all you need to do is say, "This site was developed to work with Windows IE, if you enter with any other setup, you may get errors or mixed results." Now, what is so bad about that?!
I thought about these people going before Donald Trump in The Apprentice, and what he would say. I would venture it would be... "Why didn't you create the website so that Mac users could view it? Sounds to me like you just didn't want to go the extra mile for your customers. That's just plain laziness--and I hate it when people are lazy--you're fired!"

Twelve Motion
03-01-2005, 11:34 AM
O_o

It would seem to me that you need to work harder to LIMIT what browsers can visit your site. I have a Dreamweaver website and I know very little about web stuff and I no idea how to have it only open to IE users (not that I would want to). A person who knows a little about web stuff should have no trouble allowing everyone in.

cameranerd74
03-01-2005, 12:03 PM
O_o

It would seem to me that you need to work harder to LIMIT what browsers can visit your site. I have a Dreamweaver website and I know very little about web stuff and I no idea how to have it only open to IE users (not that I would want to). A person who knows a little about web stuff should have no trouble allowing everyone in.

It's about the programming behind the site. Thery're using a codebase unique to Windows (more specifically unique to IE) so other browsers don't understand it... or sometimes don't understand it. Basically, they designed the site on IE and never checked to see if the code was compatible with other browsers. Then once they recieved feedback that it isn't compatible with Safari, Mozilla, Firefox, etc... they just decided it's easier to deal with complaints than spend a couple days editing to the code to make it more cross-platform... hence the laziness factor.

However, for a basic HTML site you are correct. It's harder to make it not work than to make it work.