PDA

View Full Version : Verizon email changes gears w/o warning (here we go again)

AHunter3
02-20-2005, 10:13 PM
When I first signed on for verizon DSL service, I made sure in advance that I could send email from my earthlink account while connected to the internet via Verizon as my ISP of the moment, and back then I could, so I did.

Thanks to the spammers, that era of friendly cooperation between ISPs relaying outbound email is long dead, and when the change came I was very unhappy about it but I understood the reasoning. I must say it would have been nice if they'd bothered to inform us of the policy change instead of letting us troubleshoot and cuss our way through the list of possible problems before deciding that they'd blocked something that was working the day before. And it would have been nice if they'd bothered to inform the computer-illiterate minimum-wage fixit-scrip-readers they employed as frontline tech support, so we didn't have to argue for 45 minutes that yes we could do it yesterday, you want a #$@ screenshot of yesterday's outbound email headers? etc...

Anyway, after discovering the existence of some extra Eudora 3rd-party plugins that enable the editing of the From header and the specification of a Reply-to header on a personality-by-personality basis, I was up and running again, sending outbound email from my hitherto-unused verizon email account that for all intents and purposes was earthlink email, and I could keep using the same email address I'd always used and always intent to use.

This evening, four years later, I go to send an email in the usual fashion and up pops an error message: Couldn't send message: server says "550 5.7.0 From address mismatch: envelope <me@verizon.net> and header <me@earthlink.net>". Now, once again, I am less than delighted, but I understand the continued concerns about spammers abusing the system (I've gotten bounce messages from spammers using my email address, in fact!)... and once again I'd be less annoyed if they'd bothered to inform us of the policy change instead of just dropping it on us. I dialed the tech support and got the "We're experiencing unusually high volume of calls" spiel... yeah, really? Gee, imagine that?!

Well, at least for the moment they appear to be giving back with one hand while they take away with the other. On a lark I tried sending while referencing my own verizon-issued IP as SMTP server (I have postfix up and running) and although it never worked before on a verizon connection, out my email went.

Frankly I think a huge swarm of evils would be addressed if email programs and ISPs got their #$@ together and always demanded password authentication to send just as they do to receive, and then let you send no matter what your IP or how you got onto the internet as long as you authenticate at that time.

mclbruce
02-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Out here in California I had a similar problem with Verizon. It was for a small office and I ended up setting up EIMS on a spare iMac so they could send outgoing mail using their domain name address. The interesting thing is that this happened a couple of years ago. So evidently different parts of the Verizon network have different policies.

I agree that this is a very annoying problem. I get a lot of calls from clients saying, "I was on vacation and I could get my email but not send it." Why should they have to be networking experts in order to send email?

CAlvarez
02-21-2005, 12:07 AM
I recommend you get a third-party SMTP server that supports alternate ports. I use the SMTP service from dnsmadeeasy.com and love it. 100% reliable and fast, dirt cheap ($15/year).

stetner
02-21-2005, 01:21 AM
I would say vote with your feet and go elsewhere.

voldenuit
02-21-2005, 01:22 AM
I recommend to get an ISP with a correct understanding what their business is about. Like in moving bits from A to B without looking at them first.

CAlvarez
02-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Can you name a broadband ISP that doesn't block port 25 to machines outside their network?

yellow
02-21-2005, 12:04 PM
intrex.net. The worst mom&pop ISP ever.

Caius
02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Can you name a broadband ISP that doesn't block port 25 to machines outside their network?

Pipex (http://www.solo.pipex.com). (UK based though I think.)

rasp
02-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Interesting, I was able to send through my host normal still.

Yes, these things are very dependent on which Verizon segment you are on.

G5from128k
02-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Can you name a broadband ISP that doesn't block port 25 to machines outside their network?Qwest, at least in the Boulder Colorado area, does not. I don't know if this is true elsewhere in Qwest's area -- an idiot at my web host claimed that Qwest blocks port 25 despite contrary evidence both on my machine and from local Qwest tech support.

That said, I can easily imagine Qwest pulling a Verizon and blocking port 25 tomorrow without warning.

CAlvarez
02-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Qwest is blocking port 25 here.

AHunter3
03-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Update: to my astonishment, I found that I can send outbound email using Verizon's own SMTP server but specifying an earthlink return address (so the From header comes up as me@earthlink.net right from the start) and it goes right through. They allow that but they don't allow editing the From header?! Go figure!

Causes less problems with various ISPs' server-level spam filters than using localhost as SMTP (postfix), so that's what I'm using now.