PDA

View Full Version : The Mini has landed

CAlvarez
02-16-2005, 08:27 PM
CompUSA just called to tell us the only Mini in Phoenix is on hold for 1 hour for us. It's easier to buy crack and sawed-off shotguns than a Mini right now. Unfortunately it's the higher-spec model which does nothing for us, still have to upgrade the memory, but hey, beats waiting weeks or a month.

Now...do I set it up first, or take the Dremel to it first...?

cameranerd74
02-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Go for the Dremel :D

schneb
02-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Save the Dremel, use a putty knife. Actually, the higher end model is pretty dang cool. Got one myself with 512k memory. Working great.

CAlvarez
02-17-2005, 06:55 PM
I don't think OS X can run on 512k... :cool:

The Dremel is related to a post I made in another thread about adding a second HD to it for mirroring. This machine is going into a colocation spot as a server. But right now it looks like I'll get a client to approve a project that requires another one colo for him, and I made the offer that we can then provide backup for each other by mirroring the data every 15 minutes or so (not a large volume of data). So the Dremel may not be necessary...

Caius
02-18-2005, 05:37 AM
I'm running OS X on 256MB of ram.

Mothers running on 256MB ram.

My server is running on 368MB ram.

I would say I get a fair amount of beachballing, but that can be stopped by quitting iTunes most of the time. Obviously things like Photoshop and Dreamweaver run slower due to lack of memory, but my server runs just fine with EvoCam running and serving up a server off the HD (http://inemo.homeunix.net). (Website is being built.)

CAlvarez
02-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Heh, read it again, carefully:
Got one myself with 512k memory.
Minor typo, I was just poking fun.

We plugged our Mini into the HDTV and worked on it comfortably on the couch. A 55" vi screen is kind of imposing, but cool. We put Webmin and Virtualmin on it, which seems like a great open source package for managing a server and virtual accounts. Compiling on the couch drinking a beer...that's the way to work.

schneb
02-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh... Duh... I mean 512MB.

Now, explain to me the use of the Dremel for a mirrored drive? I guess I just didn't get it.

CAlvarez
02-18-2005, 10:18 PM
I was wondering how I could shove a second drive in the thing. One thought was to remove the optical drive, which will be useless when the machine is colocated. The Dremel was to make room as needed, air holes, etc. I don't have a specific plan, but I usually have the Dremel spinning and come up with the plan as I go along. Just to make it more fun, I actually use a 54,000 RPM air-powered grinder, not an actual Dremel.

We've been compiling/loading/blowing up the OS so much that I haven't even taken it apart yet to look inside and come up with ideas.

Caius
02-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Heh, read it again, carefully...Minor typo, I was just poking fun.

I wasn't really into the spec side of computers before MB's so I always tend to read things like that as MB without really seeing it. :p

leaky_pipe
02-19-2005, 10:34 AM
This is my first taste of Mac and I am very impressed. I am only disappointed by the fact that my firewire seems to have burned out. It was working on the camcorder and then it stopped with a faint smell of electrical burning!

So itis back to the shop and the only real downside is there seems to be a total lack of them in the UK!

Tony

bigj
02-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Yeah, there's a lack of them everywhere. Last time I checked they were backordered from apple. I work at CompUSA and ever since we got them in, I think I've had a total of about 10 of each model. If I had a dollar for every customer that asked me if I had them, I would be a very rich man right now. Well,maybe not rich, but I could probably buy my own mini! Lol. I can't wait till we get some more in. I've had a goal to convert at least one pc user to mac per day. Lol. And it was alot easier with the mini.

CAlvarez
02-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Update on the second drive idea... Space-wise, it would be easy to shove a couple drives in there, no problem. The optical drive is much thicker than a hard drive, and obviously much larger in length and width. However, the IDE connector is attached to the optical drive and doesn't appear to be removable. It's a riser board, with a standard connector for the HD, but what appears to be a proprietary connector on the motherboard. So it doesn't appear that it would be easy to rig up the connection.

manic_mouse
02-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah, there's a lack of them everywhere.

over here in ireland they're everywhere.... im surprised we got them so quick considering the usual delay on apple products in resellers over here. we got the iPod photo just before the iPod shuffle and mac mini came out.