PDA

View Full Version : *ahem* "Old Timer"

BOFH
02-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Been on computers since 1979. Did some hobby programming on a Sinclair then Color Computer. Started a job programming on a Franklin, Leading Edge and TRS-80 in 84. Got one of the first Macs on the east coast to see if we wanted to port our surveying app over to it; decided not to.

Still mostly a PC guy; used an IBM PC with PC-DOS 1.0, installed LANs with Novell on XT's, XT286's and AT's. Admined Novell, 3Com 3+ networks, LAN Manager and NT networks. Wrote network admin programs, game management programs (D&D, Paranoia and Car Wars were the main ones) and a network aware game (NetBUEI; Dot2Dot).

Got on the Internet in 1990, wrote a Usenet Reader and participated in coding Nethack.

Next I was offered a job admining a usenet server. Became a Solaris admin and eventually lead the entire Unix group.

Last year some yahoo put a contract on our house and then tried to back out. We kept his ernest money and, being very interested in OS X, I bought a 15" Powerbook G4 1.25Mhz. Only cost me about $100 bucks :)

When I got a contract in Greece, I took it with me for use and to learn more about OS X and the Aqua interface.

I've truely enjoyed using the Powerbook and OS X. I've just about figured out how to do all the things I could do on my XP box on the Powerbook.

With the exception of a good mapping program (like MS Streets and Trips; long distance Motorcycle rider) and games (don't want a console), I've been on the Powerbook pretty often. I just finished ripping our music collection (17,500 .mp3 files; about 75 gigs) to an external disk. I use perl to manage our photo library which is also on the external disk and on our web site: http://www.schelin.org/touring/index.html and http://www.schelin.org/stuff/gallary/index.html

I've had such a hard time keeping my wife off of the laptop that we're selling her little used Windows box (Gateway: celeron with Windows 98SE) to the neighbor and I'm getting her an iBook.

I have a small home network (two Sun Ultra 60's, two linux servers, two windows boxes, one mac) set up on two UPS' so we can keep surfing when the power goes out (we've done this; it works :) ). My network layout is unavailable at the moment but maybe I'll drop it in here when I get home tonight.

I mainly use O'Reilly published books to be more knowledgeable about computers in general and the OS X books specifically. I'm working on network printing, php scripting and html style sheets.

Hope this isn't too much info for you :) I've been enjoying my experience with the Macs again and being a Unix geek, really enjoying the whole OS X package, front and back end.

Later
Carl

CAlvarez
02-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Been on computers since 1979.
Ah, you got a late start, but we won't hold that against you.

Actually that was my first year to touch a computer also. A Heathkit H8 with the H19 text terminal. Had to build it from 2000-some discrete components.

long distance Motorcycle rider
Me too. Well, not as much lately since old age and arthritis are making it more painful to do a 3,000 mile weekend any more. What do you ride? I have a Honda CBR1100XX.

BOFH
02-15-2005, 05:00 PM

Actually that was my first year to touch a computer also. A Heathkit H8 with the H19 text terminal. Had to build it from 2000-some discrete components.

I was a typesetter on a CompuGraphic 7500/7700 (preview). A field engineer came out to work on the box and showed me how to get into the core and showed me where the system games were (pong and mastermind). From there I got the sinclair for home screwing around. Wrote a d&d program for character monitoring: TCDM, The Computerized Dungeon Master.

Me too. Well, not as much lately since old age and arthritis are making it more painful to do a 3,000 mile weekend any more. What do you ride? I have a Honda CBR1100XX.

I have an 02 Harley-Davidson FXSTI Softail with a Corbin seat and Ness-Tech extended forward controls. 36k on it so far. My second bike is an 02 Suzuki GSX1300RK2 Hayabusa. Heli-bars, a yellow box and a tank bra. Bought with 4k in July, has 12k as of a few days ago. My third bike is a project. A 76 CB750 engine in a custom frame. I'm building it and am in the process of learning welding so I can finish up the frame.

My wife has an Aprilia Atlantic she bought in July and has 6.2k. We went on a trip from Denver to Boise to Eugene and the coast down to San Francisco, over to Yosemite, down to Las Vegas and back to Denver. 4k miles in about 2.5 weeks.

I'm riding the 'busa to San Diego on the 9th of April, then to San Antonio on the 10th and then Petersburg (Jacksonville? the coast) on the 11th to complete my IronButt 50cc (coast-to-coast in 50 hours).

Touring site and other pics were listed above. The chopper web log is off of the touring site.

I understand that the XX (Blackbird, right?) is the direct opposition to the Hayabusa based on numerous posts over on the sport-touring board. I got the 'busa somewhat by accident but have been enjoying the heck out of the Rocky Mountains since I got it :) You should come up here and do some riding :)

Carl

CAlvarez
02-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah, it's the old one-up relationship. The XX was made to beat the ZX-11 and be the fastest bike in the world. But with a modest top speed of only about 180 MPH, the busa beat it by a few MPH with its additional 200cc of engine size.

I run around with a local busa group and have spent some time on a few of them. The busa kills my bike in torque, especially in the 3k-6k RPM range. The XX is smoother due to the dual counter-rotating balancers, and has an impeccable reliability record (the early busas blew up regularly, they've gotten better in later years). Suspension on the XX is crap stock, good with upgrades.

Out on the road it's hard to differentiate them as the differences are less than other environmental factors and rider. Around 170 or so the busa does start pulling away strongly and keeps the lead on up to top speed. Nothing like taking a little 100-mile trip with your friends and completing it in 45 minutes...

BOFH
02-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah, it's the old one-up relationship. The XX was made to beat the ZX-11 and be the fastest bike in the world. But with a modest top speed of only about 180 MPH, the busa beat it by a few MPH with its additional 200cc of engine size.

A _few_ MPH :) Top speed without the rev limiter is 206MPH :D Rev limiter puts the top speed in 6th at the same top speed in 5th, about 10,000RPM at 189MPH. I believe the big three (XX, ZX and 'busa) came up with the artificial top speed to stop the competition. Best I've gotten is 140MPH on two occasions both unintentionally (nice open road, no one around, drop below the bubble, look down 140! better slow down :D )

I run around with a local busa group and have spent some time on a few of them. The busa kills my bike in torque, especially in the 3k-6k RPM range. The XX is smoother due to the dual counter-rotating balancers, and has an impeccable reliability record (the early busas blew up regularly, they've gotten better in later years). Suspension on the XX is crap stock, good with upgrades.

Yea, I understand it was a cracked frame and bad starter in earlier models. I think even my 02 might have a starter problem, however I also understand it's a function of squidliness. As long as you're not dropping gears and wheelieing, you're not likely to blow the starter.

I must say that the bike is a very smooth ride and quite comfortable for long distance rides. I might want to try riding an XX one of these days but I think my wife'd complain considering the number of bikes we have now :)

Out on the road it's hard to differentiate them as the differences are less than other environmental factors and rider. Around 170 or so the busa does start pulling away strongly and keeps the lead on up to top speed. Nothing like taking a little 100-mile trip with your friends and completing it in 45 minutes...

Yea, I think for regular riding purposes, the high end bikes aren't much different since you really shouldn't be doing such high speeds. It's nice that the engine runs at around 4,000RPMs at 75mph.

Carl

Caius
02-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Huh, No - one told me this was a motorbike forums nowadays. :eek: :confused: :p :D

Craig R. Arko
02-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Two-wheelin' straight to the Coat Room...

CAlvarez
02-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Yea, I understand it was a cracked frame and bad starter in earlier models.
Before that they were just catching fire or tossing the cam chain and destroying the top end. I got to be there for one of the latter. At the 2000 LAbusas/AZbusas party, there were three bikes with melted plastics and smoke damage on the tanks. :eek: The 02 was the first year that broke the cycle of problems. The starter and such are relatively trivial from what I understand.

None of these bikes will pull redline in top gear, but I have seen a few modded ones that will. A local has a dropped and stretched busa that has done over the 2-ton mark on a certified radar gun, and doing low 9's in full street legal trim. One of my friends with a XX with major mods has done the same. It's pretty amazing to be cruising along at 160-ish and have your friend wave "bye" and just take off like you were standing still.

Huh, No - one told me this was a motorbike forums nowadays.
Um, oops, forgot where I was. So hey, how 'bout installing a Mac Mini in the tail of my bike? Could run the audio system for me. I think it's no bigger than the current audio system.

acme.mail.order
02-15-2005, 10:00 PM
how 'bout installing a Mac Mini in the tail of my bike? Could run the audio system for me. I think it's no bigger than the current audio system.
Would that make it an iHog?

BOFH
02-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Um, oops, forgot where I was. So hey, how 'bout installing a Mac Mini in the tail of my bike? Could run the audio system for me. I think it's no bigger than the current audio system.

I have an AutoComm that I plug my iPod in when going on long trips. I picked up a Belkin battery pack to increase the time.

(Jeeze they're strict here; no outside interests eh? ;) )

Carl

BOFH
02-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Let's see if this works:

http://www.schelin.org/imgs/proposed.home.network.jpg

Ahh, it works. Ok, this is the home network although the printer that was attached to the XP box is now attached to the Linux box, aannnnd we're back on topic :) Sorry all; it's tough not to greet a fellow biker wherever you find him or her.

Carl

nkuvu
02-16-2005, 03:02 AM
Sorry all; it's tough not to greet a fellow biker wherever you find him or her.
Agreed.

And of course this is where I chime in about my Moto Guzzi Breva 750. :D

acme.mail.order
02-16-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm saving my pennies for this one (http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp). Although I will admit that a 280Hp bike that can outrace the bullet train is not too practical in Tokyo traffic.

BOFH
02-16-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm saving my pennies for this one (http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp). Although I will admit that a 280Hp bike that can outrace the bullet train is not too practical in Tokyo traffic.

Plus, aren't you guys taxed by cc's? Tends to make it more practical to have a smaller 400-600cc bike.

Carl

BOFH
02-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Agreed.

And of course this is where I chime in about my Moto Guzzi Breva 750. :D

At least you don't have a Duck :D

Carl

CAlvarez
02-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Mmmm...Guzzi... Friend of mine has an 02 Scurra he lets me ride whenever I want. Nowhere near the power of any of the Japanese bikes, but then, that's not the point with it. Very comfy, and very fast in the turns. With Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes, if you can't out-accelerate most bikes, you can out-brake them. Same guy has an MV Agusta F4s. Sex on wheels.

I'm saving my pennies for this one.
There are a couple of guys here that have those. It's definitely in the "money to blow" category as they all agree it's not very useful. I've talked to Jay Leno when he's appeared at the Rock Store with his, he says the same thing. It's amazing to hear the thing fire up though, and drive off.

Forget the drawing of the computer system...here's my onboard electronics...

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/temp/jan/dash_finished.jpg

I'm working on integrating a Bluetooth stereo headset into my helmet right now, so I can take out the phone mount and just leave the phone in my pocket. I ripped out the Autocom after it broke for the 27th time. I'm also replacing the MP3/stereo with an XM radio.

How do you use the iPod while wearing gloves? I did two all-day trips with it, never again. The car MP3 player is very nice to use, but it's getting old.

schneb
02-16-2005, 11:19 AM

I'm before both you guys (I think). My first computer was a plastic binary counter from Edmund Scientific. I messed with it for about an hour and lost interest because I did not know what the heck it was doing and why.

sao
02-16-2005, 12:48 PM

Well gentlemen, Gabriel (my youngest son) would like to take you for a ride (http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/PhotoAlbum11.html)... :)

nkuvu
02-16-2005, 02:13 PM
How do you use the iPod while wearing gloves? I did two all-day trips with it, never again. The car MP3 player is very nice to use, but it's getting old.
I'm guessing that you can't get the iPod's touch-sensitive controls to be touch sensitive to gloves. Right?

If so, you could use the remote instead. Real buttons instead of touch sensitive ones...

BOFH
02-16-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm guessing that you can't get the iPod's touch-sensitive controls to be touch sensitive to gloves. Right?

If so, you could use the remote instead. Real buttons instead of touch sensitive ones...

Correct. I have the remote snaked out of my tank bag and up into the map pocket along with my cell phone (which is also hooked up to the autocomm). Then I can end calls or adjust the music when necessary.

Most of the time I just put it on random and let it play since the Autocomm fades the music out when a call comes in.

Carl

BOFH
02-16-2005, 03:30 PM

Well gentlemen, Gabriel (my youngest son) would like to take you for a ride (http://homepage.mac.com/sao1/PhotoAlbum11.html)... :)

I'm ready when he is :D

http://www.schelin.org/stuff/gallary/20041202/day01/dscn4088x600.jpg

Carl

BOFH
02-16-2005, 03:42 PM
I've tried to run the iPod in a tank bag during the winter only to have it cut off after about 10 minutes. I'll put it in my jacket and it stays running. I haven't checked Apple but I suspect there's a lower limit with the moveable parts.

Carl

CAlvarez
02-16-2005, 06:12 PM
There's where the vibration difference comes in... I can run it in the tank bag all day, but when I zip-tied it to the bars it would cut out every few minutes. On my girlfriend's bike (it's her iPod), a v-twin, she has to keep it in her jacket.

I ordered a Mix-it unit today and the Etymotic ER-6i earphones. That will cover my earplug needs as well as the music. The Autocomm has pissed me off too many times, it's going in the trash. I'm going to put a cradle for the XM radio up there, remove the MP3 player, and put in a mount for my new Windows Mobile SmartPhone; it has a 1GB card and built-in MP3 player. I won't be able to answer calls with this setup, but oh well, I can live with that.

acme.mail.order
02-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Plus, aren't you guys taxed by cc's? Tends to make it more practical to have a smaller 400-600cc bike.
Japan does tax by cc's, although the jet engine in the Marine Turbine bike doesn't really have a displacement in the usual sense. The size of the burner cans is far less important to power output than the compressor efficiency.

However, anyone who can afford the beast won't be bothered in the slightest by the big-bike tax of 35 Euros a year. One weeks worth of jet fuel or diesel will cost more. There is a bi-annual inspection/road tax/repair shop extortion fee of between 300 and 700 Euros, but that applies to all large bikes and cars.

Interestingly, a local magazine ran a road race last year comparing a 1 liter race bike, a 250cc mid-size scooter (step thru design, small wheels, auto trans) and a 50cc scooter (50km/h max, downhill with a tailwind) between Yokohama and Ginza on normal roads in the late afternoon. The big bike came in first (as expected) after about an hour. To everyone's surprize, the 50cc putt-putt pulled in 5 minutes later! Maneuverability matters a lot more than power!

nkuvu
02-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Ahh, I meant to link to some Breva photos (http://nkuvu.homeip.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=breva) earlier, but I was having router issues.