PDA

View Full Version : new to the mac world

EncryptedFusion
02-11-2005, 11:24 AM
i have been a windows user for many years and i am tired of all the spyware, viruses, crashes, etc.(fellow windows users you know what i am talkin bout).Anyway i know computers very well, i have always wanted a apple computer just never had the money.Now that my income tax is in and after spending it on the house and kids i have $400 to buy a starter computer and i have been lookin on ebay nonstop. I want a laptop ;was looking at the ibook clamshell but i am still unsure of what i want since ppc is alot different than x86.I have done a lot of researching and still i need advice from poeple how know macs well could you help me out!! :) :)

hayne
02-11-2005, 01:12 PM
The clamshell iBook is rather old. It will run OS X, but perhaps a bit slowly, and you will definitely need to add more RAM (bring it up to at least 256 MB), so add that into your price calculations. And the hard drives in the clamshell iBooks are very small by todays standards - you will have to be very careful in saving disk space.
The 2001-era "dual USB" iBooks are much better.
You might want to read about the specs of the various older Mac models before buying one. I think Apple has these on its web site somewhere but there are also 3rd-party web sites that have this info.

CAlvarez
02-11-2005, 01:14 PM
$400 for a notebook isn't going to give you a great first Mac experience. There's a premium for the size, and though I'm not an expert in old Mac notebooks, I have a feeling it's going to be a really low-end machine. Might not even run OS X reasonably.

Minimum specs:
256MB memory (minimum)
8GB drive or so
Probably around a 200MHz processor

schneb
02-11-2005, 01:16 PM
You have your money priorities well placed. However, you may want to save a bit more and get a Mac Mini. You will not be portable like with a laptop, but you will have a much faster machine. No doubt you have keyboards, mice and monitors lying about from your various PCs. The advantage will be having Panther already installed as well as the included iLife 05 to boot.

CAlvarez
02-11-2005, 01:32 PM
I'd second that, with a nod towards an older iMac also. I have a Blueberry that I picked up on eBay for $270 some time ago, they are probably cheaper now. This is the old CRT-integrated model. Mine is a 400MHz unit with combo drive, 384MB memory, 10GB drive. It runs 10.3.x quite nicely, though with a bunch of apps open the small memory is a limitation. I would not hesitate to recommend that machine for a typical home or office user.

For your budget you might be able to pick up an LCD iMac? Don't know.

EncryptedFusion
02-13-2005, 01:30 AM
looking at the mac mini is what got me looking at apple computer again and after discussing it with my wife and looking at the buget there is no way even in the near future to get one:( :( i could go for the i mac i was looking at the orginally but i said to myself (since i wanted a laptop any way maybe i could be both apple and laptop!!)but i can be happy with just one of those. There are 466g3 i macs aren't there, graphite se it think they are.

Craig R. Arko
02-13-2005, 06:22 AM
For what it's worth, I've run each and every version of OS X from the Public Beta through 10.3.8 on a Blue and White G3/350 as my everyday system. The performance has surprised me, but I don't try to do stuff that requires Altivec or highend video (like iDVD compression or Final Cut or the latest and greatest games) on it.

The two tricks I've done to it is max the RAM (1GB) and put in a 7200 RPM drive.

The advice I'll give you about the clamshell iBook is to hold out for the final model which had a FireWire port. You'll save yourself untold grief in the future by doing that. Here's a guide to specs (http://www.lowendmac.com/pb2/ibook-guide.html). Also remember that the maximum 800x600 screen resolution of the clamshell will be a real pain, including preventing such software as iLife05 from working. And if you buy anything on eBay insist that you receive the original installation CD's, or don't buy it.

You may still be best off waiting to scrape up the extra $100 to buy a Mini, and maybe a small KVM switch to use your existing PC I/O peripherals with it.

Rokcet Scientist
02-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Fusion, if you want a real nice Mac experience, save some more and buy new!
If you MUST buy second-hand, check http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10816.

hayne
02-13-2005, 11:49 AM
You may still be best off waiting to scrape up the extra $100 to buy a Mini, and maybe a small KVM switch to use your existing PC I/O peripherals with it.
(to avoid any possible misunderstanding)
Note that you only need the KVM switch if you want to share your mouse & keyboard between your old PC and your Mac. If you don't intend on using the PC anymore, you can attach the mouse & keyboard directly to the Mac.

EncryptedFusion
02-22-2005, 12:35 PM
hi everyone i was the person asking for help on what to buy with $400 since i am a windows user and dont know much about apples. Anyway i am back with a update if anyone cares :) :p .I have just purchased a power mac g4 cube with monitor keyboard and mouse with the orginal speakers(the monitor is the crt 17" that was intended for the cube) it is a g4 450 with 448 ram and 20 gig hard drive i am going to upgrade the hard drive to a 40 gig 7200rpm 8mb buffer wd. The total of the purchase was like 420.My question is did i get a decent system for entry level or did i srew up i know that i could upgrade the processor later and i like the design of the cube. So, what do you guys think!!??!?! :)

yellow
02-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Cubes are kinda cool, but that processor is really slow.. think 800MHz P4 (if there ever was one that slow). You can definitely run OS X on it though, and as you noted, there are Cube CPU upgrades.

jeffo
02-24-2005, 08:22 PM
any of the mac notebooks still amaze me at how much they are selling for on places like ebay. for $400 i wold first probibly get a mac mini also (well $500) and if $400 is a hard limit then i would not rule out the Blue and White G3/450s. they are still good machines and you can pick them up on ebay for like $150 bucks and you could use your monitors from the PCs. here is a link to someone that is trying to sell a G4/400 tower for $325

just to give you a more options (http://www.applecider.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=382&highlight=)

Reflow
02-28-2005, 11:48 AM
EncryptedFusion

I have a PowerBook G3 433mhz Laptop for sale. If intrested email at
Jwolfer@infosysinc.com

duah55
07-26-2005, 07:43 PM
someone gave me one

how do you open a apple clamshell ibook lid !

can I install Tiger ,on an old ibook like this? :confused:

Phil St. Romain
07-27-2005, 10:05 AM
someone gave me one

how do you open a apple clamshell ibook lid !

can I install Tiger ,on an old ibook like this? :confused:

Should be a "button" in the front, middle part of the bottom half. That's how it was years ago when I owned one.

What are the specs? They started off at 300 mhz G3s without much RAM. That processor will run Tiger OK, but you really should have at least 256 mb RAM -- 512 would be even better. And enough hard drive space, of course.

duah55
07-27-2005, 12:27 PM
OK finally got it open but this will never run Tiger,how can I get more ram?

do they still sell SO-DIMM ram,and whats maximum i can install?
:confused:

only 64mb ram
5.5 gig drive
DIMMO/BUILT-IN 64MB SDRAM
runs OS 9
PPC G3,366 mz

yellow
07-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Seems that "576MB" is the actual amount of RAM you can throw in the first 2 models of clamshell iBooks... According to Mactracker. So it'll take a 512MB PC66 144-pin SO-DIMM.

AND

If yours has firewire, then it'll definitely run Tiger. Slowly. But it'll run. And you'll need more disk too.

(That is not to say the first model w/o firewire won't run Tiger. It's just that firewire is a "specified" requirement for Tiger, though I think it's simply said to make sure people don't try and run Tiger on really old Macs and then look for support when it's not working right)

Phil St. Romain
07-27-2005, 02:12 PM
I think I'd use Panther on an old iBook like that instead of Tiger, unless there's something about Tiger that you just absolutely have to use. Panther is a little more lightweight and have been upgraded enough times to be well-optimized for a wide range of Macs. I've seen some old iMacs really zing with Panther -- much moreso than with Jaguar. And you can pick up a used copy of Panther on ebay and lots of other places for a fraction of what you'd pay for Tiger.

yellow
07-27-2005, 02:23 PM
I think I'd use Panther on an old iBook like that instead of Tiger, unless there's something about Tiger that you just absolutely have to use.

I completely and utterly agree with this. Panther is a very well polished OS release and is certainly less processor intensive then Tiger.

cwtnospam
07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Cubes are kinda cool, but that processor is really slow.. think 800MHz P4 (if there ever was one that slow). You can definitely run OS X on it though, and as you noted, there are Cube CPU upgrades.
I just sold my Cube a few months ago. It was the 450MHZ and with 1Gig of RAM and Panther, it was surprisingly responsive. My G5 is many times faster, but the Cube was very usable.

Edit: I noticed that EncryptedFusion was worried about his budget. I think it's important to remember that you won't be spending a lot of money fixing problems like viruses on a Mac. Since the total cost of ownership is lower, you could have afforded to spend a little more on the box. ;)

duah55
07-27-2005, 06:00 PM
not model I have it says on apple profiler,has to be either 32,64,128 or 256 mb of SDRAM
SO-DIMM
1.34inches
TSOP chips
PC-100
3.3 volts

lookin on web i notice price varies 256 mb from 19 to 109$ !!

yellow
07-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Trust me, you can get a 512 in there.