PDA

View Full Version : Can I temp block emails?

Xd
02-06-2005, 04:51 AM
Is there a way to temporarily block all incoming messages to a specific yahoo email account? Sort of turn it off for a period of time?

You know when you go on holiday and you stop the post/newspaper from being delivered, same principal? Anyone know if this is possible and how it is done?

Rokcet Scientist
02-06-2005, 05:19 AM
Xd, imho the easiest/simplest way by far is to just go away and come back and then delete all the mail from the intervening time with one fell swoop.
Maybe it's possible to set up a script or something like that that does the same thing for every incoming individual mail message while you're away from date X to date Y, but I doubt very much if it would be worth all the time and trouble to find out in detail how to do that, set it up and test it...
Just chucking that mail after you've returned seems a lot simpler, don't you think?

acme.mail.order
02-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Wouldn't it make more sense to ask Yahoo that question?

Xd
02-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Yes you both have good points but in addition to waiting for yahoo's reply I am also asking others foums wouldn't that make sense too? And I thought it would be a nice way for the bulk mail senders to receive a not active notice and therefore decrease my BS mail etc.

Rokcet Scientist
02-06-2005, 06:39 AM
Are you serious, Xd? You wanna be 'nice' to bulkmailers who created your problem in the first place...?
Besides, once you respond to a spam message, you've made your email address 100 times more valuable to spammers because you are in fact confirming the validity of your email address!
So, in case you hadn't caught on yet: NEVER, EVER RESPOND TO SPAM! EVER!

Xd
02-06-2005, 06:54 AM
I am not responding to bulk mailers, and its not that big of a problem. I just wanted to know if I could deactivate my email account temporarily, so they receive a delivery failure notice hence they would avoid sending an email.

acme.mail.order
02-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Look at the Mail Options -> Filters page. Create a filter to delete all messages from/to anybody (usually the `*` wildcard character will do it).

Rokcet Scientist
02-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Huh?
"I am not responding to bulk mailers" and "I thought it would be a nice way for the bulk mail senders to receive a not active notice and therefore decrease my BS mail" don't jive, Xd. That doesn't make sense. It's either the one or the other. Which is it now?

Rokcet Scientist
02-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Acme, that will BLOCK mail from specific mail addresses (might be a loooong list you would have to enter...) from filling your INbox, but will it send anything at all to the sender? And if so, what?

Xd
02-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Actually it does jive, you just don't understand. Acme knows what I am saying. I want yahoo to respond with a delivery failure not me respond.

Rokcet Scientist
02-06-2005, 07:36 AM
I see what you mean, Xd. Which leaves my question "what do spammers receive/notice from an individual's mail block?" Do they get anything? Do they get a general Yahoo notice of "Undeliverable"? Or do they get a "Blocked Mail" notice from/with the blocker's email address? Because this last possibility should be avoided at all cost, imho (it confirms the validity of the recipient email address!).
It also leaves the prob of having to enter every individual spammer mail address into the blocking list. As well as having to keep that list up-to-date all the time!
I know nicer ways to waste my time...

Xd
02-06-2005, 07:47 AM
I was hoping the message yahoo would send is delivery failure. More importantly I was hoping I could select dates to deactivate my email account. If I have to enter in all these addresses its pointless.

mark hunte
02-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Look at the Mail Options -> Filters page. Create a filter to delete all messages from/to anybody (usually the `*` wildcard character will do it).

Rokcet Scientist, I think you missed what acme actually posted here.

He used the word delete not block.
Also If I understand what acme is saying about the '*', this will do the delete from anyone, saving adding names.

I think your right to point out the block mail issues. but from what I read here although the word block was being used by Xd, I think what they really wanted to do was not block but, turn off the email address for a specified time period. thus no block and no junk email. ;)

acme.mail.order
02-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Mark: That's exactly what I meant.

Xd: I understand what you want, and I can make my mail server do it in about 2 minutes (auto-respond, invalid account header* dump incoming mail). Getting a free web-based service to do it is a bit trickier. There is a vacation reply option in Yahoo, but it's going to be on their terms, not yours. Good luck!

* Note that there is a difference between the SMTP 'invalid address' response code and a "no such address" reply

Xd
02-06-2005, 08:31 AM
That figures, thx for the help.