PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sad

mailily
02-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Brand new here...and therein lies the problem.

If I had known that this forum existed before I bought my brand new G4 at the Apple Store in Soho LAST MONTH, maybe I would have known that they were releasing a newer, faster, CHEAPER G4 and I would have waited.

Can someone convince me that my now "old" 15" powerbook, 1.5Ghz superdrive, etc, etc is still a good buy and that the upgrades on the new model aren't that hot, and that they're probably going to release the G5 Powerbook next year, so I'd be better off waiting for that one? Cuz I'm feeling really cheated right now.

Sigh. :(

Craig R. Arko
02-04-2005, 05:30 AM
Welcome to the computer industry. For that matter, the consumer electronics industry in general.

I remember buying my Blue & White G3/350. (which I'm typing this on) on a Friday. $1499. The following Monday a new model was released. Faster and could take a second internal hard drive. $1499.

Bummed? Yeah, for about 20 minutes. Since then I've been using the thing happily and productively for over 5 years.

Typical refresh rates on Apple systems are 6-9 months. It's been toward the higher end of that lately. So the thing to do is determine when the last update happened, and estimate accordingly.

The other thing to remember is that any time any new technologies are added, they are likely to experience a period of teething troubles, which may last up until a Rev. B release of the hardware, and sometimes even longer than that. So, every so often, buying the mature release of the older machine is a good idea.

voldenuit
02-04-2005, 09:30 AM
While Craig is completely right that the time to buy a computer is when you need it, you may wish to check out

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

before buying a machine.

They watch Apples product-cycles closely and make predictions based on history data.

chutem
02-04-2005, 10:05 AM
I don't think you have anything to feel bad about. It seems that this always happens to me as well. In regards to your debate, I don't see a huge change between your 15 and the new 15. I couple of little things and a very modest speed jump from 1.5 to 1.67 gHz. My guess is you wouldn't notice the difference. The depressing part is when you buy one and then a week later they release a brand new one that is a lot better, i.e the G5 laptop. I think the G5 laptop is not coming anytime real soon so you shouldn't worry about it. This is just a speed bump not a major revision. My guess is your 15 will do everything you want/need it to. I say be happy...you are smart enough to have bought a mac after all!

CAlvarez
02-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Well, my 17" PB is almost four months old, I'm getting the new one. Seems there are enough slow people on eBay for me to sell the old one at nearly what I can get the new one for. I've also sold a couple of them that I bought at a closeout price this week and made a couple hundred bucks on them. So there's an option for you.

Or, if it's been less than 30 days, return it. I think all the Apple stores have a 30 day return policy.

Caius
02-04-2005, 12:57 PM
I bought mine beginning of dec. Saw the new powerbooks and cried.

Bluetooth 2
Scrolling Trackpad
100GB HD for less than I upgraded to my 80GB
100 less overall
512MB memory (this is the real killer.)

Then I remembered I'm off to uni in a year or so, and the fact that its still 1,091 to buy it new hit me. Then I also remembered mother's going to be after buying my 12" off me around september time this year, so I can upgrade then.

As to the scrolling trackpad, I already have it in the form of sidetrack. Plus I realised bluetooth 2 is all well and good, but I have no bluetooth 2 devices ;)

Xd
02-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Sad? Cried? What is going on here? The computer industry is a constantly evolving technology. You have to be practically obsessed to keep up. The pain you now feel is common in the beginning and is what will remind you to pay attention the next time around, chin up, the hard part is over. :cool:

mailily
02-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone!! I also posted this on another board and everyone said what you guys said and I'm feeling the love for my old aluminum again!

I love it so much..sorry for being such a weirdo...this was my first mac so it was a bit of a shock, but I have an AWESOME machine.

Thanks again!

Mailily runs skipping off into the sunshine hand in hand with her Powerbook. :p

schneb
02-04-2005, 05:21 PM
The ONLY time it went opposite was when I bought the 800mhz G4 iMac when it FIRST came out. Then the price shot up another $100 for lack of LCD panels to meet demand. It has been a great machine for years, but now I got the Mac Mini for a little more punch with my video and GarageBand needs.

Craig R. Arko
02-04-2005, 05:26 PM
And when the first PowerMac G4 towers came out, and Motorola couldn't produce the higher speed chips fast enough, so Apple downgraded the processor speed across the line for a few months, but held the price constant.

There was plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth about that one. :D