PDA

View Full Version : *Real* sharing of iTunes files on LAN?

Nafai
02-03-2005, 03:37 PM
My wife's iMac is hooked to our stereo, and it's HD is too small to hold our music library, so the library is on the G5. What is the easiest way to _actually_ share the files between the two so that she can create her own playlists? She uses a Pocket PC with webRemote to control what plays, and it doesn't have Browser capabilities, so it literally takes minutes just to scroll to a particular song.

The G5 is also used primarily for work, and iTunes is generally not running on it, nor can she make playlists on the G5 conveniently.

These are AAC files ripped from our own CD library, I don't even care if purchased music can't be shared this way, we don't have much of that.

IOW: She doesn't have the storage for me to make a physical copy of the library on her computer. The files need to sit on one of the 3 large drives on the G5, but she needs her own database for ratings, playlists, and whatnot, so it doesn't screw with my computer or ratings or playlists ;)

lull
02-03-2005, 05:02 PM
I'd say use AFP. You'd do this by first going to the PC which has the music and turning on Personal File Sharing in the Sharing Preferences. Once the service is started it will give you some instructions just below the list box. She can log in as your user, attach your hard drive that has the music shared and then go to town adding those files to her collection.

As always, there are some setbacks... She'll need to connect to your system whenever she wants to play music (you can add a preset in the "Connect To Server" window). Also, if you rename the files on your computer her computer won't track the changes, but the other way it will. Also, make sure that she turns off the option to "Copy files to iTunes Music rolder" in the advanced section of the iTunes preferences so that all the media stays on your computer and doesn't get copied to hers.

Nafai
02-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Nope, tried that. All of the songs are greyed out and the select button is inactive. That's being logged in as the owner of the files, who is also an admin user.

lull
02-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Well, I don't know why they'd be greyed out, or where they are greyed out, but I'm doing it in that configuration right now. If you can ellaborate maybe we can figure out why it's not working for you. You also might try just moving the iTunes Music Folder location to the music folder on the AFP share in the Advanced prefs.

lull
02-03-2005, 05:38 PM
I just tested it further and it looks like this would be a *perfect* way to do it. I disconnected my share, then hit play in iTunes and it automatically brought up the user/pass screen to reconnect the share. If you save that info in the keychain it'll automatically reconnect to the share whenever it tries to play a file that is stored on the AFP share. Sweeeeeet. :D

Nafai
02-03-2005, 05:39 PM
AFP is on on both machines, file sharing turned on as well. From the iTunes machine, in advanced, I change the music folder location to the folder on the G5 that has all of the music. Then, File / Import, and browse to said folder--the "Choose" button is greyed out. I can neither select album folders nor individual songs to make the choose button become active. It simply is not letting me.

lull
02-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Ok, then leave the Music Folder as it is. Disable the other check boxes that say "organize my music library" and "copy songs to the Music Folder". Mount the AFP share, then drag the remote Music Folder from the share onto the iTunes window.

Nafai
02-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Hm..."Add to Library" (cmd-O) worked just fine. I guess Import is reserved for audio CDs? Heh, I feel retarded, but like I said, we ripped everything from our own discs, so I've never used the file method of adding to my playlist. As a matter of fact, I had it autoimport upon putting a cd in, and auto ejecting when it was done. 240 cd's take a looooong time. ;)

Thanks for the help!

chris_on_hints
02-04-2005, 08:11 AM
I suppose the only drawback would that you cant add new music very easily from the iMac...

...but this sounds like a very simple solution to this problem. I've heard about people trying to share the same itunes database files between different users on the same machine or on different machines - and there are lots of problems with it. This is nice and simple - i will try it at my house this weekend...

lull
02-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Yeah, the adding new music situation isn't automated, but if you periodically just drag the music folder back on to iTunes it'll automatically merge the new additions in with the ones that were already there. This is one of those things where I get this nice peaceful feeling, so happy I found Apple. :D (I'm still on my first Mac here.)