PDA

View Full Version : When is Tiger Coming out!?

Mr-Stabby
01-26-2005, 02:50 AM
Hi.

Do we know when Tiger Server and Client are coming out? It says on the Apple website, but that's nowhere near as accurate as i need! We're about to buy a new XServe and eMacs at work but if Tiger is coming out soon we're happy to wait.

I know theres the offer of upgrading if you've bought within a month or so, but knowing my luck, i'd miss that offer by one day! It has happened before!

Craig R. Arko
01-26-2005, 03:43 AM
'First half of 2005' is about as accurately as any of us know it. :)

Mr-Stabby
01-26-2005, 03:53 AM
'First half of 2005' is about as accurately as any of us know it. :)

Could it be that Apple are the new Microsoft when it comes to release dates!?? :eek:

Craig R. Arko
01-26-2005, 04:44 AM
No, I'd expect Apple to actually meet that launch window. :)

Caius
01-27-2005, 04:18 PM
*taps nose knowingly*

Why when Apple open the cage of course!! ;)

styrafome
01-28-2005, 01:01 AM
They will release it when they have fixed all the bugs that they deem unworthy of shipping. Since they cannot predict which bugs will turn up or how long it will take to fix them, they cannot set a date. The only way for them to set a date is to decide not to fix bugs that they might otherwise prefer to fix. I am not sure we want them to fulfill our whims for a specific date that way.

Phil St. Romain
01-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Funny, but I feel differently about this one than I did for Jaguar or Panther. I'll purchase it. all right, but it's not exactly a "must-have" item. I've been a happy camper in Panther. Also, the hassle of having all sorts of software (especially shareware) no longer work, and of having to upgrade almost all my apps is a tiring thought.

hayne
01-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Also, the hassle of having all sorts of software (especially shareware) no longer work, and of having to upgrade almost all my apps is a tiring thought.
Unless "almost all" of your apps are bending the rules (doing things that are changing the system using undocumented features), it shouldn't be necessary to upgrade them.

kansaigaijin
01-29-2005, 05:07 PM
we are in the second quarter of 2005 already.

no doubt the panther Xserve will support Tiger clients. I would be more concerned with eMacs disapearing suddenly rather than upgrading systems later.

hayne
01-29-2005, 06:47 PM
we are in the second quarter of 2005 already
You must be in a really different time zone than I am. Here it is still January! :)

manic_mouse
01-29-2005, 07:50 PM
yes, it is january, and afaik that is the first quarter, get back to us with that post in april

Phil St. Romain
01-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Unless "almost all" of your apps are bending the rules (doing things that are changing the system using undocumented features), it shouldn't be necessary to upgrade them.

It's mostly the shareware, and, yes, my experience has been that many of them need to be updated for a significant OS update. That was true before OS X as well, so it's nothing new.
- Edit - here's a good example (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=16361) of apps broken by Panther; no doubt you've visited this thread a time or two. ;)

re. 2nd Quarter 2005 -- could that maybe mean Apple's 2nd quarter? They have a wierd fiscal system.

manic_mouse
01-29-2005, 08:47 PM
nah, i think it just means sometime before the end of june, i predict april - may

Las_Vegas
01-29-2005, 11:50 PM
I believe the consensus is now March 31st; The day before Apple's 29th birthday.

kansaigaijin
01-29-2005, 11:57 PM
they just reported first quarter financial results. Not everybody marches to the same drummer . . .we are talking about Steve Jobs announcements.