PDA

View Full Version : Interesting idea/concept for apple's future

Arif
01-25-2005, 11:04 AM
by ROBERT X. CRINGELY
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050120.html

Craig R. Arko
01-25-2005, 11:10 AM
In the future, don't quote whole articles verbatim; just provide the link and perhaps a brief summary in your own words, or a short quote.

There's this little thing called copyright, you know. You can edit the thread yourself, or we'll likely eventually do it for you.

Thank you.

Arif
01-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Sorry. But I credited the guy who wrote it, in capitols, just to enforce the fact it wasn't my work. I didn't want to post just a link because some people (and forum mods) don't like someone starting a new topic with purely a link, an external link for that matter. And I wanted to encourage a debate on this topic rather than people just reading it and seeing it elsewhere thus not feeling such the need to reply.

Craig, it really seems like every time I try to say something in the community forum (this one) I always get shunned down by you or another moderator. Either for my views or the way in which I express them (or other peoples, in this case!) Ever since that microsoft debate where you told me to go find somewhere else to air my opinions (or words to that effect) I've been very cautious about posting on this forum. I feel so out of touch with Apple and have deep reservations about that. I know I'm hardly a long term user of this forum but now I also feel so out of touch with the community. This shall be my last post, certainly in the coat room. Possibly in the entire forum. Good bye.

hayne
01-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Sorry. But I credited the guy who wrote it, in capitols, just to enforce the fact it wasn't my work. I didn't want to post just a link because some people (and forum mods) don't like someone starting a new topic with purely a link, an external link for that matter. And I wanted to encourage a debate on this topic rather than people just reading it and seeing it elsewhere thus not feeling such the need to reply.

1) An appropriate post would have included your own summary of that article along with the link.

2) It doesn't matter what your intentions are/were - posting full text of someone else's article is a copyright violation (i.e. illegal) and we won't have that here.

ArcticStones
01-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Arif,

Interesting article, well worth reading. Thanks.

But I donít see why you get upset about being told to use a link instead of a complete quote. By the way, I would have found your entry much more interesting if you had offered your own thoughts - and a summary. As the moderators suggested.

Well, those are my thoughts...

Best regards,
ArcticStones

GruvDOne
01-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Yes, a truly interesting article. I too have foreseen something like this. I have been actually thinking this would happen since they first launched the music store. The only issue I can see is one of bandwidth. For a feature-length movie to download would take hours conceivably. I mean if there are a few hundred thousand humans trying to download the latest release of 'Harry Potter 5' or whatever, there would be server bottlenecks that would make Los Angeles traffic look like a walk in the park.

I dunno, maybe they have t all figured out.. I hope so.. it would be very cool :)

Phil St. Romain
01-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Very interesting indeed, if, as Will noted, the bandwidth problem can be resolved.