PDA

View Full Version : Remote login and file sharing OS X

Oilbert
01-15-2005, 05:42 AM
I studied all threads now and I am still not sure how to proceed with my problem.

I have a eMac in my office. It is connected to Airport Extreme via Ethernet, the Airport is connected to the Internet via DSL. (This is all in Germany, if that's relevant).
My PowerBook (G4 15') works with the files on the eMac via Airport while I am in the office.
What do I do to connect to the eMac from outside?
I don't want to dial into the Airport Extreme but go in via the internet so I can transfer files etc.
- It should be fast
- It should be secure.

I already have a DynDNS.org account and DNS Update installed on my eMAC.

What else do I need to do?

I'd even be happy to buy expensive stuff like Remote Desktop etc if I can be sure how to configure it that it would serve my purpose.

!!!->Assume no knowledge on my part about ftp, ssh, port forwarding etc.

Anyone out there who can help or point me to the right information?
Step by step and easy does it.
THANKS!

trevor
01-15-2005, 10:02 AM
1. Is a command-line connection adequate? Or do you need full GUI control? Or do you just need to transfer files back and forth?
2. Do you have administrative rights to the Airport Extreme Basestation in your office?

Trevor

Oilbert
01-15-2005, 10:14 AM
No, I would like to avoid command line stuff and have a normal Finder-like approach or any application where I can shift folders and files back and forth between the office eMac and my PowerBook. - - - once I can get the connection going.

Yes I do have admin rights to the Airport Extreme Basestation

BTW I just used Network Utility to ping my dyndns domain and it worked. Whatever that means :)

aixccapt99
01-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Two suggestions:
- Forward port 548 from your basestation to the eMac, and use Apple file sharing, which I assume is what you use in the office. It works over the internet too -- you use Connect to Server... and enter afp://example.dyndns.org.

This is the most Mac-like way, but if you are concerned about security, it might not be the best. It supports encrypting your password, but the data will not be encrypted.

- The second way is to use ssh/sftp, which is encrypted. In this case, you would forward port 22 from the basestation to your eMac, and turn on Remote Login on the eMac. Then download CyberDuck or Fugu (both free) and use them to connect via sftp to the eMac.

You can combine the approaches and tunnel the Apple file sharing over an ssh tunnel, but that gets a little more complicated.

Oilbert
01-15-2005, 12:13 PM
thanks for that!!!
one stupid question regarding your answer:
how do I foward a port from the Basestation to the computer?

and what setting do I then have to change on my eMac, i.e. the one that is supposed to be the server or client. The eMac is connected via ethernet to the basestation.

Raven
01-17-2005, 10:13 AM
As for the GUI control for your eMac, look into VNC... lots of free clients and servers available out there...And once you have an ssh tunnel opened to your emac, VNC will work like a charm over it.