PDA

View Full Version : Mail.app security verification problem

miacomet
01-13-2005, 01:00 AM
I just set up an IMAP account with my schools mail server. It works, but every time I load mail, I get a pop up screen which tells me "Mail was unable to verify the identity of this server. ... The root certificate for this server could not be verified."

I talked to the IT person at my school and they said this is pop up screen is likely caused because my school choose not to pay for the secure login verification from "verisign" (IIRC that's what it's called).

Anyhow, is there any way to turn this annoying pop up screen off?

BigRedBall
01-13-2005, 06:31 AM
Are you using SSL on the connection?

davidduff
01-13-2005, 08:42 AM
it sounds like they are using a self-signed certificate (vs. one that is signed by one of the "trusted" signers of certificates like verisign).

if you don't want to be warned about this, you can ask your it person to send you their cert and you can import it into the set of trusted certs on your mac. you do this using the keychain utility. this will make it so that your mac is willing to trust certs signed by your school the same way it would trust a verisign-signed cert from microsoft.com or whatever.

if you choose to do this, make sure that you trust your IT guy, because after you do this, you would be at the mercy of any spoofed sites that someone might put up using that same cert, and if he controls your network, it be possible for him to redirect your web accesses to a proxy of his choosing and use that to grab your passwords or whatever. just a (paranoid) thought...

miacomet
01-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes I am using SSL.

Thanks for the tip about getting the certificate from my IT guy. I trust them. And I'll try that next week.