PDA

View Full Version : Apple's genius surplus shift

AltronTex
01-11-2005, 06:12 PM
What better way to get rid of surplus G4 processor stock than combine with other outdated components an remarket as Mac mini... As I said, genius!

hayne
01-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Except I don't think the G4 chips are in that great a supply as to be called surplus. After all the Mac Mini seems to use more or less the same G4 chips as are in the very popular iBooks (latest version).

AltronTex
01-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks Hayne,

I just wanted to express an opinion that some Mac users may well be feeling about the mini.

Personally, I think it is an amazing piece on technology and wouldn't think twice about recommending it to friends or family who were contemplating a PeeCee upgrade.

In my experience anyone that has uses OSX has been smitten by it, and rightly so!

warragul
01-11-2005, 08:37 PM
At last! A good reason to retire (?) my Yikes G4/400.

But what does this thing weigh? I'm thinking it would make a good Portable Mac. Drop the box in a bag and use whatever display/keyboard/mouse is available on-site. Much more robust than a laptop, more power and far cheaper. Prolly less liable to be stolen, too.

Now, where's my old Targus bag from the Mac Plus days?

CAlvarez
01-12-2005, 09:55 AM
2.9 pounds, as light as the lightest and tiniest notebooks.

Much more robust than a laptop
I don't know about that. Laptops are made for the abuse of mobile life; this probably is not.

I do agree that portable use is a big plus for this new Mac.

hayne
01-12-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't know about that. Laptops are made for the abuse of mobile life; this probably is not

But the screen of a laptop is one of the most delicate parts.
And the hinges.
The Mac Mini has no external moving parts.
It will be shutdown when transported so the drive will be parked.
Seems like it should be quite unlikely to be damaged in transit.

CAlvarez
01-12-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm not saying it's not good for portable use, but I doubt it's "better" than a laptop for it.

I've already got one sold for exactly this, we'll see how it works out.