PDA

View Full Version : Repair Permissions on a 2nd Hard Drive Failure

geo_10
12-23-2004, 12:08 PM
I am a bit embarrassed to even ask this question....

I'm running 10.3.7 and I just installed a 2nd hard disk as a storage area. When I run Disk Utility and attempt to repair permission 1.)The option is not available to me (one verify disk and repair disk are available). 2.) When I attempt to do the verify or repair I get this --->>>

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD 2”
1 volume checked
0 HFS volumes verified
1 volume failed verification

Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk (-10000)

Questions --

1.)Why can't I repair permissions as opposed to verify disk and repair disk.
2.)Why would I get that error??

Tom

hayne
12-23-2004, 01:18 PM
1) You can only do permission repair on the boot volume. Permission repair uses the files under /Library/Receipts to ensure the permissions of installed software are what was specified by the installer.
It also fixes some other things that people often screw up on the boot drive.
You probably don't even have a bootable system on your 2nd drive, hence the permission repair can do nothing for that drive. If you do have a bootable system on that drive, boot from it and then do the permission repair.

2) The error about not being able to unmount the drive probably means that the drive is busy (some process is using a file on that drive - this could be as simple as being in a Terminal window in a directory on that drive.)

TazmanDman
12-23-2004, 01:20 PM
You can only repair permissions to a volume that has an OS X install on it - it looks for the /Library/Receipts folder and if it doesn't see it then the option will be greyed out.

As for verification/repair apparently it didn't unmount properly. Were any files/programs/finder windows open at the time that are from the 2nd drive?

[doh, hayne you beat me to it again! ;) ]

geo_10
12-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks! That explains it.