PDA

View Full Version : Disassembling PB "silver saucer" power adapter?

jen729w
12-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Hi there.

I have a PB G3 with the "silver saucer" power adapter. While it still works, I'm noticing that the connection where the cloverleaf shape dooby coming from my wall socket joins the saucer itself is getting a bit temperamental. It takes a bit of a wiggle before it'll decide to supply power.

I'm sure this is just internal wiring coming slightly loose, but I'll be buggered if I can work out how to get the main saucer unit apart. I don't want to just try brute force - knowing my luck, I'll end up breaking something that, currently, works.

Any ideas, anybody? (It's part number M7332, just so we're absolutely sure what we're on about.)

Thanks, :-)
j.

Caius
12-16-2004, 06:29 PM
I have a spare iBook adapter lying around if you want me to take a look at it. I think its the same adapter as the powerbooks ones. The silver 'yo-yo' type adapter.

jen729w
12-16-2004, 07:38 PM
If you wouldn't mind, any hints would be appreciated. I just can't see how it could pull off, there don't seem to be any clips, and I've tried giving it a twist to "screw" off to no avail.

Apple, eh? They should give Apple components out at Mensa conventions as challenges for the mentally overfulfilled.

j.

voldenuit
12-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Yoyos are ultrasound-welded.
Being intelligent doesn't do you much good to get inside.

I'd wait until it definitely stops working, things will get really ugly once you've ripped it apart.

They are not designed to be taken apart, just to look cool.

If you are to get a replacement, you might want to consider the M4402 instead, it looks a lot better with that type of PowerBook.

jen729w
12-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Darnit. Ah well, I'll wait until it goes - then I'll take a sledgehammer to it and post the pictures here. :-)

Actually, I don't think I'll have to wait all that long for it to become obsolete. Those new G4 PowerBooks are just way, way too tempting.

I think I'd stick with the silver yo-yo if a replacement becomes necessary: it's all part of the Mac experience, part of making ignorant people at work go "ooh, what have you got there?..." - my excuse, of course, to launch into an Apple sales pitch that Jobs himself would be proud of.

j.