PDA

View Full Version : .rar and compressed files from PC to MAC?

buhner_7
12-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Instead of me having software on OS X, can i decompress files on my PC, put them on a CD and run them on my MAC? or is ther special compressed formats for MAC. thanks :)
tyler

AHunter3
12-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Well, sort of, I guess. Most downloadable OSX applications are distributed on either diskimages (.dmg) or stuffit-compressed diskimages (.sit of a .dmg) or, less often, unix-compressed (.z, .gz), binhexxed (.hqx) diskimages. I suppose you could download them on a PC and decompress them if they are compressed and then burn a CD of the .dmg files.

The ones that are already .dmg files aren't compressed and aside from burning the CD there's not much you would do with them on a PC.

Then there are the installer applications i.e., the handful of MacOS X apps that are distributed not on diskimage but as compressed installers (.pkg or .app). Some of them may have resource forks, and if you expand them on the PC you'll end up with nonworking files because the PC file systems do not support the Mac resource fork.

All in all, it seems like you don't save much by doing this. Are you severely short on disk space on your Mac?

raider
12-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Instead of me having software on OS X, can i decompress files on my PC, put them on a CD and run them on my MAC? or is ther special compressed formats for MAC. thanks :)
tyler
You can, of course. But you could also use UnRarX (http://unrarx.sourceforge.net/) . Other than that, I have found that OSX supports just about all compression mechanisms.... :)

yellow
12-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Stuffit Expander also unrars rars.

AHunter3
12-02-2004, 08:50 PM
That makes sense. Stuffit Expander pretty much unxxx's any xxx compressed format I've thrown at it. (OK, I admit I haven't tossed a PackIt .pit file or an Amiga .lha file on it lately, but that would still be my first response). A damn good product that rose to the top of the category for totally appropriate reasons. I hope Apple's built-in file-zipping doesn't marginalize them; I really wish Apple had gone with the contextual-menu option of either Stuffing or Zipping rather than standardizing on .zip format.