PDA

View Full Version : iTunes not opening certain mp3/m4a files

hurleygirlie
11-26-2004, 02:09 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to get my mp3s/m4as off of my ipod and back onto itunes. Using ipod rip, I was able to copy all the files to the hard drive. After clicking and dragging and apple+o-ing and all that, only about half of the files were copied. I'm guessing that because of permissions, I cannot open the other half of the songs in itunes, these are songs from my PC and others that I had not ripepd from a cd myself. Any suggestions as to how to get itunes to recognize these files?

Bigc
11-26-2004, 05:27 PM
What are the permissions for one of the songs that iTunes won't open? What happens if you double click on one of the songs that iTunes won't open?

i.e., find one of the songs in your iTunes Library control click and get info...

hurleygirlie
11-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Permissions are Read and Write

When I double click a song that won't open in iTunes, the icon 'jumps' like they do in panther when opening, and then the iTunes window is brought to the front. Nothing happens. It doesn't copy in, doesn't play, nothing, :mad:

minton
11-26-2004, 07:37 PM
I've used Senuti (another ipod ripper) and the problem was that it renamed all the files into *.mp3. So a song that was originally song.m4a didn't play when double clicked as it was renamed song.mp3. The solution is to sort by file type and only import one type at a time, and make sure you get the extension right.

hurleygirlie
11-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Regardless of the filetype, m4a or mp3, the songs will not play in iTunes unless I had at one time imported the songs myself from a cd.

I've tried renaming the files to no avail. Perhaps if I used an older version of iTunes?

minton
11-26-2004, 08:08 PM
This is from their support page -> http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/support/ipodrip.php#invalidimport

I have imported a selection of songs, but once I disconnect my iPod I can no longer play them in iTunes. How can I fix this?
This is a simple problem to fix. First up, open iTunes and then navigate to the preferences pane. Select Advanced and make sure the option "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" is selected. Once you have done that, remove all the songs from iTunes that cannot be played and then re-import them. Previously iTunes would not keep a copy of the songs on your computer, now it will.

There's actually quite a few of these apps to rip songs from an ipod, so if this app isn't working for you, I'd suggest looking into any of the others (PodWorks, Senuti).