PDA

View Full Version : Sharing ADSL modem with airport

tracker
11-11-2004, 12:38 AM
I have just connected to broadband ADSL with an eMac running Panther using an airport card. Everything seems to be working fine but when I try and connect from my laptop, also with an airport card, to the ADSL modem it seems to connect with the modem as the "lights" on the Internet Connect panel show a connection to the network but I can't get out with a browser. I have set all the network configs up on the laptop exactly like the eMac but with no luck.

Do I have to turn on any internet sharing to make it work?

I did also notice that in the TCP/IP section of the Network Setup for the eMac, the IP address of the ADSL modem was in there (automatically), but on the laptop it has some address like 169. something. Also when I select Show Network Settings, the airport icon has orange button and not green like the eMac and tells me that I have a self-asigned IP address and may not be alble to connect to the internet.

Any help much appreciated.

trevor
11-11-2004, 03:42 AM
Can you explain how your network is setup currently? Include model numbers of all the devices. What you are saying is

Internet --> ADSL modem ---wireless---> both computers.

I'm not aware of any ADSL modems with a built-in wireless router, although I suppose that one could exist. So my guess is either you've got

Internet ----> ADSL modem --wired--> 802.11x router --wireless--> both computers

or

Internet --> ADSL modem --wired--> eMac with an Airport card --wireless--> laptop with an Airport card

Which one is it?

Trevor

tracker
11-11-2004, 03:54 AM
Thanks for your reply.

My setup is two Macs (eMac and laptop) both with airport cards talking wireless to ADSL modem connected to internet via phone line.

trevor
11-11-2004, 04:03 AM
So your ADSL modem broadcasts wireless? Does it support more than one computer being connected to it? Can you configure it? What brand and model is it? Who is your provider?

Trevor