PDA

View Full Version : G5 Display options

opium
10-23-2004, 09:33 AM
I am looking at picking up a new machine, & I think that I'd like to get the new G5, but I don't have any intention of wasting all that $$$ on an Apple display. So I guess I've got 2 questions.

The first is can I use any PC display with the G5, or only those that conform to a certian resolution (& if so what resolution).

And secondly, the guy at the store told me that I won't be able to mirror my display on my CRT television anymore with my VGA converter. As my mac IS the digital hub for my home, & I won't be able to afford a plasma display anytime soon, :( I won't be able to get the G5 if this is true (or if there is no adequate work around), as it means I will loose my DVD player.

trevor
10-23-2004, 11:56 AM
1. Yes. There is actually no such thing as a "PC display", there are just displays that take different inputs. So check the outputs of your G5's video card and match that to the input(s) on the monitor.

For example, if you get the Radeon 9600 card in your G5, it has one ADC port and one DVI port, plus a DVI to VGA adapter. So if your display has a DVI (digital) input or a VGA (analog) input, it will work perfectly with the Radeon 9600.

2. There's not enough information here for me to answer the second question properly. First, tell us what monitor you plan on using. Then, tell us about your "CRT television with VGA convertor"--is this an RF modulator to convert a VGA signal to a television signal?

In any event, if you get a retail Radeon card, it comes with an S-video output that will connect directly to many televisions without any adapter. I would recommend the retail version of the Radeon 9800 Pro.

Trevor

opium
10-23-2004, 01:33 PM
thnx.

just what I needed.

goes to show that osxhints (& it's members) is better than any apple retailer.