PDA

View Full Version : Swap file .. what I am curious about is ...

Gary54
10-18-2004, 10:42 AM
After having read all the articles and discussions about moving X's swap file ... the pro's and con's and perhaps utter waste of time moving it to a separate partition, etc. In all that, there appears to be a general agreement that the "page out" value is the informative one. With sufficient memory, it should be 0 and the swap file location becomes irrelevant. The articles quoting large performance gains I note were early adopters wrangling with good ol 10.0 .... not 10.2 or 10.3

I have installed the max amount in my beige backup computer, 768, which by all accounts should be enough to keep the page outs at 0 .. and in fact it is 0 and stays at 0 using any X application or combination of applications I have available. There is always an ample amount of free memory available. Generally 200 megs or more.

Until .....

I start Classic ... THEN it shows an immediate positive value which simply grows. Stopping Classic has no observable effect to return to 0. The page outs remain with a positive value (ranging from 74 - 300 or so) until the computer is rebooted. The free memory value stays high .. so the memory is there to use.

Anyone with thoughts, comments? What is it about Classic that kicks the page outs into a positive range? ... Does 9's virtual memory kick in under X? Seems rather far fetched. And is it worth the time and trouble to set up a separate swap partition if you expect to be using Classic mode on a regular basis?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Gary54
10-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Being new to X, I'm trying to make my newbie mistakes on my backup machine first before mucking with my work machine.

Its a Beige desktop with a 533 G4, 768 ram, a 60 gig ata 100 drive attached to a sonnet trio ata 133 controller card, a farallon 10/100 ethernet card and a radeon 9200 video card, a plextor CD RW and a second scsi disk I use for utility work.

I have a 10.1 original X install CD and a jaguar upgrade CD. I have partitioned the 60 gig disk to less thn 8 gigs for the OS install per beige limitations, am using XPostFacto to set the install parameters and install using the onboard video until X can install the 9200 video drivers.

It appears to work just fine, a bit slow of course, but stable.

I have a new (to me) 533 digital audio G4 that I have moved my work to, and have the 10.3 panther on order for it. I've been using macs since my first LCII in '93, but this X is a whole 'nother animal.

Regards, Gary

Craig R. Arko
10-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Moving to the 'System' forum...