PDA

View Full Version : Strangeness...

zmann
10-18-2004, 06:24 AM
hmmm.. I just got to work, and I found my mac (G5 DP 2.5Ghz) screaming (Frozen, all fans blairing)... This is the second time in a month this has happened. I usually leave my PC running on Sunday nights because I get out of here about 10 p.m. and have to come in at 4 a.m. on Monday. So it's not like it was sitting for 48 hrs. I know that the easy solution would be to shut down Sunday night, but that would be toooo easy... I would rather know what the problem is.. :D

Also if it makes a difference:
I am running a Dual Head setup
I usually run the Sachs Marine Aquarium for a screensaver
Applications running at the time would be Indesign, Photoshop, Acrobat + Plugins
iTunes running, but not playing (paused)

rusto
10-18-2004, 06:33 AM
Do you have the screensaver set to activate then later have the Energy Saver pref set to sleep the computer? I wonder if the SS is 'conflicting' with sleep somehow because this used to happen to me once in a while until I just turned off the SS.

zmann
10-18-2004, 07:23 AM
Do you have the screensaver set to activate then later have the Energy Saver pref set to sleep the computer?

Nope... itís set to Ďneverí I donít like to come back to a sleeping PC.. I suppose I could try a different screen saver and see if it still happens.. But seeing as itís only happened twice in a month, the result (either way) would hardly seem definitive. Problems like this crack me up.. Itís like taking your car to the mechanic and saying ďI swear it was making that noise before I got here, and now it just... stopped.Ē ďUhuh, right dude, and I suppose you want me to fix a problem the doesnít exist?Ē, The mechanic says. :cool:

DeltaMac
10-18-2004, 08:05 AM
I also do not like the automatic sleep setting, but what prevents you from using 'sleep' manually? The system powers down and uses virtually no power at all. Waking up then is only a matter of 5 seconds or so. Certainly a better option than leaving the system on all the time. Do you have software running that would not work after being asleep, or forces a restart?

yellow
10-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Any indicators in the logs?

zmann
10-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Any indicators in the logs?

yellow, this may sound a bit... ummm strange... But when I look at the crash logs, I start to get this euphoric feeling from head to toe, and I feel like I am falling when Iím just sitting in my chair.. (Actaully when I look at them, I don't know what I'm looking at, and start to fall asleep) What am I looking for when I am looking at a crash log?

Do you have software running that would not work after being asleep, or forces a restart

I listed the programs above, the only one I'd question myself would be the Sachs saver...

yellow
10-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Not crashlogs, the System and the Console logs. What are you looking for? I have no idea, it's just one of those things that you'll know when you see it. If the machine is really frozen, there should be an obvious stop in the time stamping in the logs. It's pretty easy to work backwards from there and see what the last 25 entries or so were before it went belly up.

gsparks
10-18-2004, 11:40 AM
I run into more people having problems when using both the Marine Aquarium SS and the energy saver sleep function. Frequently the machines will "freeze" when the sleep function is triggered.

One solution I've tried is to sleep only the display (e.g at 2 hrs), and not the entire computer (keep it set at "never"). This seems to have eliminated the freezes, and might be a solution worth trying.

GS