View Full Version : Where is the pipe character?

10-15-2004, 02:21 PM
I can't figure out where the pipe character is - I can only insert it via Special Characters...

I read somewhere it's Shift Command and I - but it that doesn't work for me...

I really need the pipe character for commands in the terminal...

Can anyone tell me please?


jens :confused:

Jacob Spindel
10-15-2004, 02:28 PM
On my keyboard it is shift+backslash. What country are you from?

10-15-2004, 03:30 PM

On my keyboard, it is above the Return key, below the delete key. Your keyboard may be different, depending on the country of origin for your keyboard, as Jacob mentions.


10-16-2004, 03:59 AM

I've got a PowerMac with German keyboard...

I don't have a backslash either, that's Shift+alt+Slash (7)...

I read somewhere it's Shift+alt+I, but that doesn't work for me.
Interesting thing ist that if I insert the pipe character into TextEdit, then copy it into the clipboard and paste it into the terminal, the bash just returns the character code... \342\216\256

I need to pipe things in the shell! :-(

Thanx for your help though! I may ask Apple support and post the answer if I get it.

Does the pipe character work in the terminal for you?


10-16-2004, 05:10 AM

I called Apple support and on a german keyboard (PowerBook) it's option+7 (alt+7)
...and I thought I tried all combinations.

10-16-2004, 02:01 PM
There is a way to find the mapping in general:
In Panther (10.3.x) when you click on the country flag at the top of the screen you can do "open international". In "Input Menu" select the tool "Keyboard Viewer". This tool shows mappings of the keyboard when you start it. Just press some control keys (e.g. shift, alt and so on) and watch the result.

08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
On a macbook pro, with mac OsX leopard, you can use shift+alt+L key to have a unix pipe character

08-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Wow, that's some serious thread necromancy, hremot.