PDA

View Full Version : Install command line v of Acrobat Reader

BIGgav
05-15-2002, 10:13 PM
I need to be able to access acroread from the command line.
When I run the INSTALL script the response I get is...
WARNING: The chosen configuration will not run on your current platform (Darwin/5.3).
Continue installation? Any clues on how I can load the acroread program?
Thanks, Gavin.

griffman
05-16-2002, 12:40 AM
Best I could find is this blurb from Tenon's iTools page: "acroread" is the name for the executable file for Adobe Acrobat Reader on Unix systems. It does not come with iTools, ht://dig, or OS X Server. To my knowlede (and the Adobe web page), Adobe Acrobat is available for MacOS, Linux, IRIX, Windows 3.1/95/98/NT/2000, SunOS, Solaris, AIX, DEC Unix, OS/2, and HP/UX. Adobe's website does not indicate that there is a version available for Mac OS X Server or any plans for such a release. Until there is, you will not be able to use ht://dig to index PDF files on your website (unless you have another program that can take the place of Acrobat). Based on that note, it appears that acroread won't run on OS X at all.

If anyone knows better, please tell us about it!

-rob.

BIGgav
05-16-2002, 12:48 AM
This may be the sort of thing that the guys at fink handle?
Surely it is just a matter of someone doing a compile for the MacOSX???

griffman
05-16-2002, 07:56 AM
I don't think acroread is open source, so there's nothing anyone can do unless Adobe wants to play nice ... and re-reading my quote, it appears that it's probably an old note, as Acrobat Reader is certainly available for OS X now, but it still does not include acroread.

-rob.