PDA

View Full Version : Installer Messed Up By Linux Server

WittyFool
09-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey all,

I'm an assistant sys admin, and I'm trying to download some software onto a new G5 from our Linux (Red Hat) backup server. The software is Office and Dreamweaver, and I can get it off of the server no problem. However, when I open up the folders, instead of having the installers be self-containing programs (like the "Welcome" app in the Office X folder), the OS thinks they're Unix programs, as designated by that little Terminal app icon. So instead of being self-contained and opening up and installing like normal, the OS asks what program I want to use to open them.

Is there a program I can use to open these? If not, is there a way I can get the OS to recognize that they are proprietary installers and should function on their own? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Erik

hayne
09-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Are the installers executable?
What do you get from:
ls -l name_of_installer_file

If making them executable doesn't fix them, it is possible that the original files had "resource forks" that got stripped by being stored on a foreign file system. If this is the problem, you need to get the originals.

Las_Vegas
09-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Best to place the installer packages into a dmg file, rather than folders on the server. Then the mounted image would be proper OS X packages and run accordingly