PDA

View Full Version : niutil and slow preference panels

froinds
09-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi
I'm experiencing serious delay in the loading of preference panes in System Preferences after adding and modifying users via the terminal using niutil. The longest delay is in the accounts preferences, I only see the administrator, after 30 seconds the rest of the users show.
Does anyone have any idea why this happens and what to do to solve it?

hayne
09-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Any messages in system.log ?
(Run the "Console" app to look at the logs)

To solve it: Put the user accounts back the way they were before you fiddled with them?

froinds
09-13-2004, 10:09 PM
I've changed the user settings before using netinfo manager without this issue. The problem was when I started doing the same thing from the terminal. The first time I noticed this was when I changed the shell of a user to /sbin/nologin (which I had previously added to the /etc/shells so this person could ftp but not ssh). The second time this happened was when I added a user using niutil recently. I really didn't do much messing around. I do have an ftp user set up for pure-ftpd which has no home directory.
This is the log from the console.

*** malloc[1687]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe410; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
2004-09-13 22:59:07.064 System Preferences[1687] *** -[NSScrollView cell]: selector not recognized
2004-09-13 22:59:07.064 System Preferences[1687] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSScrollView cell]: selector not recognized
2004-09-13 22:59:26.602 System Preferences[1779] *** -[NSCFString replaceCharactersInRange:withString:]: nil string (or other) argument
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe190; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe300; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe470; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe5e0; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
2004-09-13 23:00:01.021 System Preferences[1779] *** -[NSCFString replaceCharactersInRange:withString:]: nil string (or other) argument
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe1c0; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe330; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe4a0; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe610; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe780; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffe8f0; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
*** malloc[1779]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xbfffea60; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

Edit: added code tags to fold the lines up a bit.. - yellow

froinds
09-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Now I realize that as long as I don't open the Accounts preferences everything is find. Things go nuts only when I open the Accounts pane.

froinds
09-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Hmmm.....anyone out there who can figure this out?

hayne
09-15-2004, 03:27 PM
I recall some articles on the main macosxhints some time ago that discussed what you had to do to create user accounts on the command line. And there have been some discussions of this on these forums too. All I recall was that it wasn't easy - that there were lots of things you needed to get right.

It seems that whatever you have done has triggered some bug in the system software (hence the malloc errors).
The only solution I can propose is that you undo your changes to the netinfo database and then presumably the errors will go away (since no one else seems to be seeing these sort of problems). Then you could proceed to add the users via NetInfo Manager or some other better documented method.

froinds
09-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Isn't there a utility to check your netinfo databases?