PDA

View Full Version : Trojan proxy server or Dark Forces at work??

RonTocknell
08-17-2004, 08:30 PM
I had just read the thread about Trojan proxy server e-mails (see “Trojan proxy server” by vbhaura in this forum), supposedly from AOL, and responded, having had the exact same e-mail myself about an hour earlier and had confirmation from AOL that it is indeed a bogus e-mail.

I then browsed around the site for a bit, congratulated Yellow on his recent marriage when BLIP! AOL quit leaving me the following note:

“Your session was interrupted by ronstoons [my screen name] signing on from another location. If this is not authorised, please call 0800 376 5432......”

Well, I don’t recall authorising myself to interrupt me from another location so I called but the office was closed (will post their reply when I get through to them).

However, I can’t help wondering:
Could this be linked to that Trojan proxy server e-mail?
Should I have downloaded their attachment after all?
If the other me sends this me an e-mail and I read it, will it initiate a rent in the space/time continuum and bring about the end of the world?

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Ron
:eek:

yellow
08-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Please post the email (with full headers) that you received. Full headers is very important. Either you or I can edit out the details which are not pertinent (i.e., your email address) for spam-safety's sake.

RonTocknell
08-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Alas, I deleted the e-mail and then deleted it from recently deleted e-mails so, presumably, it's floating about in cyberspace. However, after being interrupted by myself for the third time, I got an IM from AOL telling me that I was signed on at two different locations (??????). Apparently, by sending a request to be logged on at only one location, I've fixed the problem (or so the automated IM tells me). The test of this will be whether or not I actually get to finish this reply.

I can't even begin to understand what any of this actually means. Trying to watch "The Matrix" was confusing enough!!!

Ho hey. Thanks for such a prompt response. How's married life treatin' ya?

Ron :confused:

yellow
08-17-2004, 09:04 PM
I seriously, seriously doubt that your Mac is infected in anyway. I would heartily suggest that you change your AOL password A.S.A.P. Change it to a very good password, that means, at least 8 characters, no proper names, no dictionary words (in any language). Plus, call AOL. Don't trust IMs that purport to come from an AOL admin. Maybe they do, but you really don't know who is on the other end of that IM. You definitely know you're talking to AOL when you call them on the phone.

Strong Password tips (for future readers):

Don't use weak passwords. Use an minimum 8 character password with a mix of alphanumeric (caps & lowercase) & non-alphanumeric characters. Any more than 8 characters is ignored by the OS in Jaguar. Panther accepts longer passwords. No words found in dictionaries (in any languages). Try using a "pass phrase" and stripping out the first letters and then doing a common character replacement.
(for example: "Most computer geeks sunburn easily during physical activity." [letter stripping]-> Mcgsedpa [character replacement]-> "Mcg$3dp@" is a pretty strong password.)

Thanks, married life is good! It'd be better if my wife let me buy a TiVO! :)

RonTocknell
08-17-2004, 09:09 PM
It just happened again! Thanks for the tip. I don't have much time so I'll take your advice while I'm still on.

Cheers.

Ron

RonTocknell
08-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Got kicked off yet again before I had a chance to change my password. Finally managed to do it. Let's hope this solves what is becoming a pain in the ass!

To return the favour: here's a tip from an old veteren of 33 years of marriage:
Don't start hinting for cool stuff until you've funded at least seven pairs of "shoes-to-die-for" (which, incidentally, will be worn once and left to clutter up the closet for the rest of eternity)

Hey! This is the 3rd paragraph and I'm still online! I think it's working!

Thanks.

Ron :cool:

yellow
08-17-2004, 10:19 PM
To return the favour: here's a tip from an old veteren of 33 years of marriage:
Don't start hinting for cool stuff until you've funded at least seven pairs of "shoes-to-die-for" (which, incidentally, will be worn once and left to clutter up the closet for the rest of eternity)

Heh. Thanks for the tip! Does watching women's olympic gymnasics count towards that debt? At least it's not figure skating. Not even a TiVo is worth that to me.. :)

RonTocknell
08-18-2004, 04:30 AM
Trust me; watching sport on TV definitely doesn't count......ESPECIALLY if it's women's gymnastics. Best to say "Pah! Call that a body!?" and go and do the washing up. :D