PDA

View Full Version : Epson Advice to Reset Password?

rgelston
08-12-2004, 12:34 PM
I am having a string of bad days with printing (see "Print Center Craches (sic)) on this forum. I have an Epson multi RX500 connected via USB. Trying to reinstall its software from the CD, I either get the spinning beach ball of death, or more often, the program will not take either of my administrator-level user passwords. Epson Support advises me to contact Apple Support to walk me through resetting the main administrator password. They do not advise creating a new (third) user/administrator for this purpose.

Could someone comment on my having to go to Apple Supprt for these instructions? Perhaps you could run through them for me here?

Thanks,

PS: Would all these problems be solved by doing another installation of Panther?

hayne
08-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Resetting the admin password is, if I recall correctly, a simple matter of booting from the Panther Install CD and then choosing the appropriate menu item. (I don't recall what it is called).

But if your admin accounts are working properly for all else (e.g. for Software Update or for changing Networking Preferences or for changing ownership of a file via File/Get Info in Finder) then either Epson is doing something strange (that it shouldn't do) or else something more fundamental is wrong with your system.

rgelston
08-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Well, my password allows me to log on as admin, and I just changed ownership of a folder. Do see any reason why I should not try another installation of Panther? My main printer is the LaserWriter 360 Select, and there don't seem to be any drivers for it in this installation.