PDA

View Full Version : NIS problem, help for a newbie?

Janni
08-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone, I am a new Mac user, and I was trying to get my iMac to recognize my Minolta printer on the network...well, to make a long story short, I was messing around where I shouldn't have been, and accidentally selected the box for the NIS thingamabob and well...even though it DID warn me that if there wasn't an NIS server it would take longer to boot, I thought "gee, how long could it take?"

Therein lies the disasterous assumption. You know what they say about assuming, right? Well, it's been about an hour and it's still trying to boot. LOL!

HELP! Is there a way around this? Is there an escape pod somewhere? Help me, I'm drowning! (grin) Seriously, maybe not drowning, but I sure would appreciate some help! Anyone wanna help a goofy newbie-gal?

Thanks in advance, forum!

Janni in Georgia, USA

EDIT: Oh yeah, I failed to mention that I am running Mac OSX 10.2 (Jaguar). I guess that might help, huh?

And...it's still booting...lol...

Sneeper
08-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Sadly it will boot forever.

Your only recourse is to reboot into single-user mode, remount the root drive rw, and then edit /etc/hostconfig to turn off NIS. Sounds like fun, huh?

You'll need to change the NISDOMAIN line to read:
NISDOMAIN=-NO-

And then reboot. I ran into this under 10.2 .. although at the time, I really WAS trying to make NIS working.

This will require you to have some unix knowledge, such as how to remount your root drive read-write and how to edit a file from the command line using vi. FUN FUN FUN! :)

Janni
08-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Ok, my next request is for someone to translate Sneeper's post into dummy new-user terms. (winking at Sneeper)

Seriously though, is there a "for dummies" explanation on how to do this? I am totally new to this stuff. I don't even know what a single-user mode is...I assume it means one user (duh)...I am pretty PC fluent, but Macintosh stuff is all Greek to me (but I am learning...and until this I was thinking that I wanted to be a complete convert...heh heh...of course, this is MY fault, not the machine's).

I think they (Apple) might have worded that warning to say "your computer will never reboot properly again if you really don't have an NIS server"....LOL!

I finally turned it (the iMac) off. Waited a few minutes. Tried re-booting again. Same song and dance. It's stuck about midway through the boot process with that "Waiting for Network Information Service" message laughing it's keester off at me. (well, it's not really...but it does rather MOCK me sitting there all smug like "I told ya so!")

Sneeper? Anyone? Would anyone be willing to hold my hand and walk me through this or should I look in the phone book for a Mac repair person. (Is that anything like a Maytag repair person?)

(blushing)
help

Janni
08-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Ok, I did some digging, managed to figure out how to boot into single user mode, and even how to remount the root drive...and I have even opened pico and opened the /etc/hostconfig file and edited the line that I needed to edit...but NOW it tells me (when I go to save it) that it cannot. (sigh) It says "cannot open file for writing".

ARGH! What's up with THAT? I was so proud of myself and thought I was actually gonna be able to fix this thing and then THAT happened.

Is anyone out there in macosxhints land awake? I need your help. (sniff)

hayne
08-10-2004, 10:09 PM
1) Follow steps 4 a, 4 b, and 4 c of this Apple document on startup problems:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106464
After that you will be in single-user mode with the filesystem available for editing. Be aware that at this point you have full power over the system and it will do whatever you say, no matter what, so be extremely careful to type the commands properly.

2) Position yourself in the /etc folder by typing the following command:

cd /etc

3) Type the following command to make a backup copy of the hostconfig file:

cp hostconfig hostconfig.aug10

4) Edit the hostconfig file by typing the following command:

pico hostconfig

You will see helpful instructions (about what keys do what commands) at the bottom of the pico window. The ^ symbols indicate the Control key, so for example, to exit pico without saving the file, you press Control and hold it and then press X.
Edit the file to change the line that says
NISDOMAIN=-YES-
to
NISDOMAIN=-NO-
Save the file with Control-O

5) Type the following command to get out of single-user mode and start up the system:

reboot

I typed this in without noticing that you had posted a further note on your progress

hayne
08-10-2004, 10:11 PM
managed to figure out how to boot into single user mode, and even how to remount the root drive...and I have even opened pico and opened the /etc/hostconfig file and edited the line that I needed to edit...but NOW it tells me (when I go to save it) that it cannot. (sigh) It says "cannot open file for writing".

It sounds like the filesystem was not mounted writable.
That is what the following command (from the Apple document) does:
mount -uw /

Janni
08-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi Hayne,

Can you tell me what that means? Does that mean I won't be able to make the change to that file? Please tell me it doesn't mean that I've trashed my new iMac totally to the point of no return? I am literally having to type everything into Google to try and figure out how to do this stuff. LOL! Chances are, I did something wrong. Could you maybe tell me what I would need to do, so I could be sure I was doing it correctly? I would be OH so appreciative. :-)

hayne
08-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Did you use the command
mount -uw /
after booting into single-user mode?

Janni
08-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Yes I did. It still tells me that I am in read-only mode. :-(

Janni
08-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Ok Hayne, I actually rebooted into single-user mode again and went through all the steps again and it seemed to work. I think my mistake before was that I was doing a Control-X to save as opposed to Control-O.

However, when I went to reboot after it saved the hostconfig file and everything....it is rebooting and doing the same thing...hanging up in the boot process and looking for the Network Information Service. (sigh)

This time I really thought I had fixed it. :-( Your instructions were perfect and I followed them to the letter. This time it really said "saved 32 lines" after I did the Control-O thing. But it's still trying to look for the NIS.

What to do...what to do....?

hayne
08-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Yes I did. It still tells me that I am in read-only mode.

It seems that you must be missing a step somehow.
Please go back and follow carefully the instructions given in that Apple document I linked to above, then continue with my steps 2-5.

once again, our posts passed in the ether. My response here is referring to your second previous post

hayne
08-10-2004, 10:46 PM
when I went to reboot after it saved the hostconfig file and everything....it is rebooting and doing the same thing...hanging up in the boot process and looking for the Network Information Service.

Please go back into single-user mode and look at the /etc/hostconfig file again and verify that your changes really got saved.

Janni
08-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I feel so stupid. (blush) Hayne you were so sweet to hold my hand and walk me through all of that. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help.

It certainly WAS user-error (as always in my case...hehe).

Where I was supposed to change the hostcofig file, I typed in the word NO as opposed to -NO-

I didn't notice the dashes on either side...stupid me. It has now rebooted quite nicely and seems to be working just fine.

HAYNE IS MY HERO tonight!

THANK YOU! Thanks to Sneeper as well. I can certainly say I have had a super-quick immersion into the world of Unix commands this evening. LOL! I think tomorrow I will go and find a "Unix for Dummies" manual at Barnes and Noble. (grin)

This forum is going to be a great resource from now on. Hopefully someday I can learn enough to be able to help someone else out of a jam.

Blessings all...

Janni

Sneeper
08-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Excellent.. I'm glad you got it figured out.

Sorry my instructions weren't step by step. I was away from my Mac (it's at work) when I posted it and didn't remember the exact commands to remount rw and how to save using Pico (I'm a VI guy).

Janni
08-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Oh that's quite allright, Sneeper. You did get me started because I began Googling the terminology you used and did find some rather useful articles (which I bookmarked for later reference, thankyouverymuch...lol) in the process. See, it's all about learning for me. ;-)

Actually I lied. I am not a TOTAL newbie...but I kind of am. The last Apple machine I had was when I was much younger...I had an Apple IIc (giggle). I used to use it to "talk" to my best friend Danny on local BBS'. It was smokin' with a 300 baud modem and all. hehehe

But this new iMac, it's a whole new world. It's a world I am loving though, so far. I am considering getting a G5, actually. I only got my iMac less than a year ago and it's already so outdated...lol...I am a graphic artist by trade and well...I need the big guns when it comes to rendering and such. The iMac does it quite nicely, but it takes awhile.

Thanks again for your help. I am looking forward to becoming an active participant in this forum, especially as I learn more and am able to help out...for now I have to be a "helpee" rather than a "helper" though. LOL!