PDA

View Full Version : Screwed Up a Sonnet G4 ZIF Install

spincast111
08-09-2004, 07:03 AM
I just installed a G4/800 ZIF processor into my B&W and it freezes on startup.

Now here's the kicker...I skipped the part where you install the OS X software before restarting OS 9 (OS 9 software was successfully installed w/ BIOS update) then I switched to OS X using the SYstem Preferences Startup Disk panel. I assumed the OS X tune-up needed to be installed in OS X. Now when I turn the system on I just get the grey screen with the Apple and no progress wheel.

I figure I need to restart into OS 9 somehow. Can't boot CD. Can I change the boot flag somehow, maybe from onther system? ie Pull the drive and do it in another system.

Thanks.

houchin
08-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Hold down the option key at startup. You should then get a choice of System folder from which to start up. If that doesn't work, why don't you just pull the ZIF update, put the original processor back in. Then boot into 9 (or even X) and install rest of the software.

spincast111
08-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Fixed it.

The problem with Sonnet upgrades in B&W is that you can not boot from an OS X CD. The option key startup also does not work, and I was flagged to boot into a non-working OS X, even with the old CPU back in place.

I thought the no CD boot, was for all CDs. Turns out I could boot from an OS 9 CD. I installed the proper software, and everything works fine now.

Thanks for the suggestion though.