PDA

View Full Version : Finder doesn't retain prefs between boots

evildrbob
04-29-2002, 04:55 PM
I can't convince the Finder to retain my window settings (eg view by name) between boots - everything resets after I log off. Along the same lines my Stickies files are lost (not reloaded with the same saved sticky notes) between boots...am I doing something wrong?

rusto
04-29-2002, 06:37 PM
You'll find that the Finder settings you are losing are for folders/directories OUTSIDE of your home folder...these you'll need to set the prefs for by logging into root, then logging back in as "you" to be persistent between boots.

flognoth
04-29-2002, 07:03 PM
ok, but how would you do it if you don't want to activate root? is there a way to do it using sudo?

Dr.Evil
04-29-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by flognoth
ok, but how would you do it if you don't want to activate root? is there a way to do it using sudo?
I'd been having the exact same problem, so I fiddled with it. If you open a Terminal session in an Administrator account (the first account you created on installing the OS should be an Administrator), and type the following:

% cd <folder to change>
% sudo chown <username> .

And then set your window prefs, then either quit/relaunch the Finder or log out and back in, you should see the changes have been preserved.

You can either set the ownership of the folder back to root by executing sudo chown root ., or just leave it accessible for further editing by your account, since root can access it anyway.

dschep
04-29-2002, 08:13 PM
ResExcellence once had a link to a MacNN article which gave a chown which would set you as the owner of all the .DStore file (which is in each folder and saves these prefs)

The problem is that i can't find it any more. Mabey a Unix guru could tell us how to do this

xchanyazy
04-29-2002, 09:56 PM
In this (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2173&highlight=DSStore) thread, mervTormel gave us a way to delete all of the .DS_Store files - perhaps you could change it to chown instead?

% find / -name .DS_Store -exec rm -i {} \;

yields something like -

% find / -name .DS_Store -exec chown user {} \;

vonleigh
04-29-2002, 10:00 PM
From the "Official Macworld OS X Forum FAQ":

My window and view preferences won't stick in OS X. What can I do?

<http://homepage.mac.com/ddelong/osxforumfaq/#question22>

There's a whole nice explanation, but if you just want the command, 'tis it:

sudo find / -name .DS_Store -exec chown username:wheel {} \;

Vonleigh