PDA

View Full Version : Making music available for download

mgm_03
06-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi,

For those familiar with php/MySQL...I was wondering if anyone knows how to make music available for downloading from a personal website but with copyright protection of some kind. I've downloaded a few tracks from Apple's iTunes store and didn't know if they have implemented security measures to prevent illegal copying/distributing. Don't they use a different encoding technology (AAC ?)

I think we're seeing a trend where people either don't want to buy a full cd or they just like the convenience of a small portable music player. iPod sales are exceeding all other Apple products combined...don't quote me ;-)

hayne
06-20-2004, 06:23 PM
You can read full detail about Apple's protected AAC format on the Apple site and the various articles you will find with a google search for: iTunes AAC

If (as it seems) you are wanting to make your own music available for download, then you need to know that all forms of copy protection involve some sort of encryption of the music file such that the file is not playable with generic audio file playing software - instead it requires a special player that will decrypt the music when proof of authorization is supplied. For Apple's music store, the player is iTunes.

acme.mail.order
06-20-2004, 10:54 PM
You should also consider that all forms of audio copyright protection are little more than annoyances to slow down casual copying. However, if it's your music and you want people to have it, there's no problem in sharing it off your computer, and you don't need php or a database to do it. If you want to make music you have bought accessable to you (and only you) over the internet, e.g. going on vacation and want to change music mid-stream, then just make the folder password-protected through .htaccess.