PDA

View Full Version : What does the "i" stand for?

FireWired
06-09-2004, 07:18 PM
I was just wondering what the "i" in Apple products stands for.

In a search at Acronymfinder.com (http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=imac&Find=Find), it listed "Internet Macintosh".

This doesn't really seem right becuase of things like iPod, and the iLife apps. Not to mention the hundreds of 3rd party products (eg, iTrip).

And the "e" in eMac stands for Education, right?

Thanks

DeltaMac
06-09-2004, 08:29 PM
When the iMac was released in Summer 1998, the "i" was part of apple's marketing, as the iMac was very easy to setup for internet use; hence, the name i-Mac (iMac). Now it seems many companies use that as a distinctive addition to product names, and not necessarily related to internet use at all. Others could come up with a long list of i-named products.
The eMac was initially sold only to educational markets, but was quickly added to general sales by Apple. (seems many people prefer that CRT over a flat panel). The 'e' certainly still means educational, with eMacs available without any installed optical drive, for use in controlled labs, for example.

staypuft
06-09-2004, 09:13 PM
The last time I heard a word put to the "i" was, I believe, at the introduction of some version of iLife. At that time it was "Integration" because the iApps that made up iLife easily shared information with each other.

acme.mail.order
06-09-2004, 11:07 PM
It's a very marketable phrase, probably no longer has an 'official' meaning. My personal favourite: Apple's lost-password system on their website is called "iForgot"

Phil St. Romain
06-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Yes, the "i" initially referred to Internet, but that got really lost when Apple released Mail and Safari, their two foundational Internet apps, but didn't use the "i" designation for them. One wonders why they didn't call Garage Band iJam.
:p

Irene
06-10-2004, 10:41 AM
and here I thought it was for Irene

ulrichm
06-10-2004, 12:12 PM
and here I thought it was for Irene I like that!
LOL :D

FireWired
06-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Lol, I suppose they thought calling it iMail would be too confusing, seeing as it's really e-mail. But they couldn't use eMail; that would be Education Mail.

So, I guess it's correct to leave it as just Mail.

Phil St. Romain
06-10-2004, 08:04 PM
I had heard a good possibility for a web browser: iSurf! I think Apple missed something there. :p

mervTormel
06-10-2004, 08:29 PM
iBrowse would be too hairy and in-your-face >:]

cudaboy_71
06-11-2004, 11:32 AM
iBrowse would be too hairy and in-your-face >:]

:rolleyes: