PDA

View Full Version : photoshop not opening files from desktop

brownrice
06-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Someone (not me!) reinstalled my OSX and now Photoshop CS will only open files from within the app (command-o). Double-clicking file or dragging file onto photoshop icon only opens app, not file. Tried trashing prefs, didn't help. Any other ideas?
thanx in advance

schneb
06-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Does Photoshop start at all? Can it open the file from the desktop by navigating to it from an Open menu operation? If so, go to the info box and switch the file to open in another application and select "Change All". Then do it again, only this time choose "Photoshop CS". This may be a Finder pref problem and not a Photoshop CS problem.

If this does not work, try reinstalling Photoshop CS.

Hope this helps.

brownrice
06-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Just tried that--files will open from within photoshop (open menu) just fine, but double-clicking or dragging to dock will only open the app, not the file. File icon kinda "flashes" like someone else is using it, but won't open. Really hoping not to have to reinstall PS, no idea where orig disc is (not my office either).

schneb
06-09-2004, 01:03 PM
OK, try the first suggestion. If this does not work, then trash the Finder preference file, fix the permissions via Disk Repair and restart.

adyblain
06-09-2004, 08:04 PM
When you say that the file flashes as though someone else is using it, it makes me wonder who "owns" these desktop files under privileges. Maybe the files are locked or owned by another user? Try Get Info on them and see.

jackster12
10-22-2004, 04:20 AM
Just tried that--files will open from within photoshop (open menu) just fine, but double-clicking or dragging to dock will only open the app, not the file. File icon kinda "flashes" like someone else is using it, but won't open. Really hoping not to have to reinstall PS, no idea where orig disc is (not my office either).

Hi there...

I'm wondering if you've ever found a solution to this. I'm experiencing the same thing after reloading OS X last night. Did an 'archive and install' and now my photoshop files won't open with drag and drop.

Permissions on the files are fine. And Photoshop knows enough to open after the file is dragged onto the application icon. But once open, it's a blank slate. Nothing there. I have to use the 'open' command as you've described... or the image browser from within PS.

If you've found a solution... I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance. - J

DysenteryJerry
10-22-2004, 12:29 PM
I had this same problem, at work and home... without reinstalling X, I found the easiest solution was to reinstall Photoshop, after that it all worked fine. Would be nice to know the correct solution

adyblain
10-22-2004, 06:22 PM
what about trying 'Default App' preference pane. it's free, and may be able to re-associate the files to PS? get it here:
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

also makes me wonder...do .psd files have the PS icon? what do they open with when double-clicked if not PS?

Daily
10-23-2004, 02:22 PM
can't add much to this, but can confirm that photoshop CS *only* acts like this when it has been copied to disk *instead* of being installed... repairing permissions, etc etc, does nowt...(and I've tried it all) the only thing I can think of is rebuilding the launch services database, which can be done from the terminal, you will find instructions on xhints, search for it, its there. now supposing you have the app and all its contents, but have *lost* the installer disk that you purchased and find this behaviour is pissing you off, you can install the demo, then delete that from the Applications folder, and files will point to CS as they should.

Keep this thread alive and hopefully someone will be able to explain this odd behavior, it's bothered me for ages... some what.

rusto
10-23-2004, 08:40 PM
We have a PC box at work that exhibits this exact behavior with PS 7. The only way to open images is from the already launched app.

biovizier
10-23-2004, 08:50 PM
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329996.html

I haven't used Photoshop in a while, but I've seen this issue pop up on the forums now and then. I don't know if there is something analogous for PCs.

brownrice
11-01-2004, 09:23 AM
go to the offending file, and hit

Get info > open with

Change to Photoshop, and hit change all.

I believe this should remind your OS what to do.

possum
11-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Do a find for "Adobe Unit Types" or...
Open your Previous System folder.
Find "Adobe Unit Types".
Copy it into: <Panther volume>/Library/ScriptingAdditions/ .

If there is no "ScriptingAdditions" folder make a new one and copy the "Adobe Unit Types" into that new folder and restart Photoshop CS

Below is the info that I found that helped me solve the problem.
Hope this helps.
-----------------

Double clicking/drag and drop Photoshop files opens application but not file.

Scott Weichert - 01:45pm Dec 29, 2003 PST
This is most commonly due to installing Photoshop CS before doing an archive and install of Mac OS10.3.
The easiest solution is to reinstall Photoshop CS after you have installed Mac OS10.3.
---------------------------
Another solution courtesy Anne Shelbourne
Find "Adobe Unit Types".
---------------------------
Another Addition:
Jim Warthman - 11:31am Aug 15, 04 Pacific (#20 of 21)
This worked for me - but I have one important clarification.
The Adobe Knowledge Base article ( http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329996.html ) says to move the "Adobe Unit Types" file to:
[hard disk]/Library/Scripting Additions folder
At least in my case, this did NOT work, until I removed the space between "Scripting" and "Additions". Then it worked fine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

jmonster
11-10-2004, 12:58 PM
that worked for me!

unykron
11-17-2004, 09:05 AM
what about trying 'Default App' preference pane. it's free, and may be able to re-associate the files to PS? get it here:
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

also makes me wonder...do .psd files have the PS icon? what do they open with when double-clicked if not PS?

Well with me, they all have the correct icons. And, when double clicked, they don't open in anything. A double click will launch photoshop or bring it to the front if it's already launched, then nothing.

unykron
11-17-2004, 09:09 AM
can't add much to this, but can confirm that photoshop CS *only* acts like this when it has been copied to disk *instead* of being installed...

Not in my case. I never copy an app unless I'm instructed to instal like that, as is the case with something like toast. That behavior died with OS 9. I always do a clean install from the cd. And I have this problem. But, after reading this thread, it may be from a pre "Archive and install" install of Photoshop. I have to look into the other suggestions.

gunnar23
11-18-2004, 12:11 PM
this worked for me, thanks.

Find "Adobe Unit Types".

eyeworks
12-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Find "Adobe Unit Types".

I actually went online and found a helpful site that included the missing file "Adobe Unit Types." If you don't have the file called "ScriptingAdditions" you can create one and insert it in your hard drive "library" folder. This has been bugging me for a awhile and thanks all for the fix. :D

iolaire137
09-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Had the same problem and found the site in question
https://secure.photojunction.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=10

Dropped the file into the ScriptingAdditions folder and BINGO back to normal.

Regards

Tez:)

KelFitzPhoto
04-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the help! Dropping the ScriptingAdditions folder into the Library with the "Adobe Unit Types" worked!!!! YAY!