PDA

View Full Version : Sony Clie and OS X

tlarkin
06-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Hello all,

I am not a big user of PDA's. Infact my old Palm III barely got used now it collects dust. I have a client that has a G4 MDD running OS X 10.2. She also has a sony Clie' PEG-J35. I know isync will not work with this PDA so you have to use some third party software called, The Missing Sync, made by mark space. The mark space software requires that the Palm Desktop be downloaded and installed on the existing system for it to work. So I downloaded the Palm desktop, then installed The missing sync software. The clie' says its connected but I can't see any sign of it being connected on the mac.

Has anyone dealt with this software before? What known issues are there? This is my first time trying to get a clie to work with a mac, so I am pretty much just reading through all the readme files, and manuals. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

metropical
06-08-2004, 09:51 AM
I have a NX70, about 2 year old vintage.
Palm Desktop 4.1 for X.
I'm not using iSync and it syncs fine.
If you're not using Macs apps, I think you'll find no need for Missing sync.

mines a G3 beige running Panther with PCI USB and FW added.

If this doesn't help, try

cliesource.com/forums/

tlarkin
06-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the response.

If its set up correctly should the memory stick not mount as a removeable drive on the desktop?

metropical
06-08-2004, 10:18 AM
In theory, that is true, with Missing Sync. But I've never tried it.
I use a USB ready/writer to drag and drop what can't be installed from the Palm Desktop HotSync Manager.

tlarkin
06-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Okay,

This is kind of frusturating because the support for this missing sync app is limited. In the readme file it says make sure that the driver is loaded for the clie. However, I cannot find any driver downloads online. So what are they talking about? I have palm desktop ver 4x installed and when I try to hot sync it, it doesn't work. I am going to try to uninstall the missing sync and see if that works.

tlarkin
06-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Well,

If I uninstall the missing sync software it takes away all usb sync options with the palm desktop. So, it looks like I need it. In the setup readme file it just says run hotsync on your clie after setting up the software on your mac. Make sure you have the usb enabled in the hotsync manager (which I do) and it should work. It does not work, however, and that is all that the read me says. Their support on their website is, feeble at best. I am at a total loss here and I am going to start back at step one.

Thanks for your input though.

metropical
06-08-2004, 11:25 AM
search the Mac drive after installing Missing Sync for something containing "missing"
see if anything turns up.

apparently cliesource closed and moved here.
http://www.1src.com/forums/

unfortunately, there is no longer a Mac forum there, but maybe the device specific forums can lend a hand.

tlarkin
06-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Metropical,

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

I was scanning through the support part of the missing syncs website. It is very poorly layed out. There is just a bunch of FAQ. Finally after enough digging I did find that there is an update to version 3.0.7 (I think, and I am running 3.0.4). So I am downloading it and going to see if it works. There is no downloads link on there webpage you kinda just gotta dig around for it. So, hopefully this update will fix my problems.

I went to that other forum and could not find anything mac related, but thanks anyways.

I will post if the update fixes it or not.

-Tom

tlarkin
06-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Okay, you MUST download and run the 3.0.9 update (I thought it said 3.0.7, but its not) to make any of the new clie's work with the missing sync. The support pages of the missing sync's webpage are pretty poorly designed and they have no downloads link. You have to dig through some stuff on the support section, find a link that says update on the lower right side of the screen and click on that.

Once I updated it, it worked instantly. So the application itself is useful, and as far as I can tell works well, but the documentation and support for it is not very good.

So, the documentation is pretty poor, but the application itself is somewhat useful.

Thanks for trying to help me, it just took some digging and research to figure all this out. Hehehe, I was starting to get a bit frusturated.

-tom

metropical
06-08-2004, 12:16 PM
glad it worked out.