PDA

View Full Version : Copy OS X on to new hard drive ??

funkster
05-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Hi,
I have just bought a new hard drive and rather than re install Panther and all the upgrades etc.. I thought I could just copy the whole lot onto the new drive.

I tried to boot from it and I just got that 'no entry' symbol (I think it means it can't find the OS). This is something I have done many times with classic but have never tried it with OS X.

Can you not do this with Panther ?

thanks

DeltaMac
05-29-2004, 08:08 AM
No you can't do a simple copy with OS X, there's a pile of invisible files that are part of the installation. The simple file copy won't see those. You must use a cloning-type of software, such as CarbonCopyCloner, which usually works perfectly.
Or, an alternate, do your simple copy to another drive, then reboot to the Panther Install CD, and reinstall Panther on that new drive, without erasing the drive. Panther will install on top of what is there, putting all the invisible pieces back in place. If you follow through with a user setup using exactly the same user info, your system should boot back into OS X working the same as your original drive (except with a much cleaner system - meaning somewhat faster and smoother)

funkster
05-29-2004, 08:22 AM
Cheers v much, I will look for some cloning software.

Craig R. Arko
05-29-2004, 08:36 AM
If you connect both drives, boot from the Panther Install CD, run Disk Utility (from the menu) and 'Restore' the old drive to the new drive you will have achieved your goal. :)

Roy Vincent
05-29-2004, 08:02 PM
If you connect both drives, boot from the Panther Install CD, run Disk Utility (from the menu) and 'Restore' the old drive to the new drive you will have achieved your goal. :)

I've been using DU's Restore function to clone a partition to a partiiton on my G4 iMac. Works well.

I've got both a G4 iMac (with, of course, a firewire port) and a clamshell iBook (without a firewire port.) But I can connect the two machines with an ethernet crossover cable. Can I use DU's Restore to take a partition with Panther on it from the iMac to an iBook partition (making it bootable on the latter), using that slower crossover cable and file sharing? (I can't find much info on this matter--Apple's Panther Help and Knowlege Base Articles do not help.)

If the slower crossover cable is up to the task via file sharing, wouldn't I forget about booting from a Panther install disk and just boot from the iMac and use its DU--which would (?) show both the iBook's partitions and the iMac's partitions given the crossover connection? I can't test this myself, for my iBook is now located miles away from my iMac.

Craig R. Arko
05-30-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure, I haven't tried something like that. There appears to be a 'Restore to/from a URL' feature, so you may well be able to do this from a network connection even without NetBoot functionality. I think you'd still need to boot the iBook from the Installer CD.

If I get a chance and a spare machine, I'll try it. (Along with all the other tests on my list. :D )

Roy Vincent
05-30-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure, I haven't tried something like that. There appears to be a 'Restore to/from a URL' feature, so you may well be able to do this from a network connection even without NetBoot functionality. I think you'd still need to boot the iBook from the Installer CD.

If I get a chance and a spare machine, I'll try it. (Along with all the other tests on my list. :D )

Thanks Craig.