PDA

View Full Version : How do you uninstall programs in OS10.2.8?

spizer511
05-05-2004, 03:55 AM
((hoping this is the right forum to post this))

I know that may seem like a retarded question, but I've just recently come back to Macs after a six year break, and a lot has changed.

All I wanna know is if you just delete the program from its happy little place in the applications directory, or if there's an uninstaller on this little puppy somewhere.

Thanks for the help.

intrntmn
05-05-2004, 04:25 AM
In general, Yes, if you remove the application from where it sits, it should be gone. However, you should also look in ~/Library/Preferences for any preferences that may be left behind to be on the safe side.

If the application has an uninstall application, I would recommend using it.

Jack

yellow
05-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Uninstallers are few and far between on the Mac. Some apps will drop an uninstaller (as a separate app) with the actual app when they are installed. Some will drop an uninstaller in your Utilities directory (MS Intellipoint Uninstaller, for example). Some have uninstallers built into the installer. Where you would choose to customize the install, there is a choice for uninstall. But generally, trashing the app suffices.

AHunter3
05-05-2004, 09:05 AM
It's actually more like this now than it has been since the System 6 days. During the System 7 through MacOS 9 years, more and more applications sprinkled the System Folder with special extensions and plug-ins folders and preferences and library files and whatnot.

Now much of that stuff is encapsulated within the application bundle :)

trevor
05-05-2004, 10:23 PM
The main reason uninstallers are necessary on Windows is because when an applications is installed in Windows it creates entries in the Windows Registry. Dragging a Windows app to the Recycle Bin doesn't clear out the entries in the Registry, causing problems, in some cases crashing and inexplicable behavior.

OS X does not have the Registry abomination, so you can just drag apps you no longer wish to have to the trash. Yes, you may miss some prefs files, and you may even miss some files in the Application Support directory, but there's no problem if they are there, it's just a little clutter that you never see.

Trevor