PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to a password protected wireless network

squint
04-23-2004, 06:25 PM
I have a somewhat odd problem connecting to any wireless network that requires a password, using either the Airport menu, or Internet Connect. I'm running Airport 3.4 on a Lombard with a Belkin 802.11g card, (which does work with the native drivers).

Whenever I attempt to connect to a *new* wireless network as normal user, I always get a error dialog stating "There has been an error connecting to [NETWORK NAME]". However, if I connect as an administrative user, everything works fine. And once the new network has registered with the system, I can connect to that network as any user without using a password.

Is this an undocumented "feature"? Has anyone else experienced this?

fat elvis
04-24-2004, 05:13 PM
when you say "connect as administrative user"...are you meaining you're logging into the router as admin? I think this is what you're doing, or at least that's how it sounds to me. Is this an Apple base station or a different brand?

squint
04-24-2004, 10:58 PM
What I mean by connect as an administrative user, is that I log into OSX as an user who has the "Allow user to administer this computer" option checked. I do not normally log in as an admin user under OSX.

This has nothing to do with the router, I've had the exact same experience with 3 different wireless networks created with 3 devices of different brands, one of which is an actual Airport. It also doesn't matter if the network is "opened" or "closed". The only thing common to these wireless networks is that they all require encryption to be enabled.

mclbruce
04-25-2004, 03:27 AM
Interesting problem. Looks like you have done a thorough job in investigating it. You might want to let Apple know about it.

hayne
04-25-2004, 04:42 AM
Look at the console log (via the application "Console" that is under /Applications/Utilities) to see what error messages appear when you try to connect as a non-admin user. Copy & paste the error messages here so we can see them.

squint
04-25-2004, 05:47 PM
There are no console log entries that are relevant as far as I can tell.

I've also checked /var/log/system.log, the only relevant messages there show up after I have sucessfully configured the network interface as an admin user.

fat elvis
04-26-2004, 06:50 PM
very strange...
have you tried repairing the permissions on the drive? this sounds like it may be related. If this doesn't work, and newly created accounts don't work...and this were my system, the next step would be to rebuild it. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to connect if one account works.

gsparks
04-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Are you sure the password has been entered identically for all users? One of the glitches discovered using Macs to connect to WEP protected networks is that frequently you must add a "$" (dollar sign) to the beginning of the password for it to work properly. The error message you are reporting is typical of this particular problem.

Good luck!
GS