PDA

View Full Version : how do i password protect my wireless internet?

stong
04-18-2004, 09:27 PM
this has been a question of mine for quite some time and have searched. i already tried the airport admin utility but it doesnt detect my router. maybe its because i have a smc router, not a mac airport? btw i have a ibook g3 if it matters. yes my wireless service works great and i installed my airport card properly. but i want to password protect my internet so people outside cant look into my computer. i know im worry too much. any help would be great! thanks!

haironfire
04-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Not sure about your router, but on mine the manual referred to a specific IP address to log onto the router's admin page. Once you were there -- you entered the IP address in your web browser -- the option to change the default password was yours to change as you see fit. There probably is a default password, and a default connection name. That is the place to make those changes, if you want. If you don't have the manual still, i would think the manufacturer has than on their web site.

Hope that helps.

stong
04-19-2004, 03:52 PM
thanks for the reply. i tried entering my ip address on safari but got no response. i used the ip address given in the network option in system preferences. any more ideas? thanks.

haironfire
04-19-2004, 04:06 PM
thanks for the reply. i tried entering my ip address on safari but got no response. i used the ip address given in the network option in system preferences. any more ideas? thanks.
The IP address that you want is not shown in your System Preferences. That is your machine IP. What you want is the IP address for the Router that you use -- they are two different IP addresses. The router IP address should be listed in its user manual, or on the manufacturers web site.

mclbruce
04-19-2004, 07:20 PM
The IP address that you want is not shown in your System Preferences. That is your machine IP. What you want is the IP address for the Router that you use --
Actually you will find the IP you need in System Preferences - Network - TCP/IP, next to "Router:"

However getting to the setup page is just the beginning. You will need to navigate the web pages and add information in various places. Then you will need to make changes on your iBook.

it would help a lot if you could tell us the name and model number of your wireless base station. Different models and manufacturers have different setup procedures.

stong
04-19-2004, 08:38 PM
my wireless router is smc 7004vwbr. i checked the website and the ip number they told me to enter won't work. i don't know why?

mclbruce
04-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Adding password protection is a great idea. You need to get to the router's web configuration pages to do it.

Did you try the address listed as "Router" in your System Preferences? Copy and paste the address there into your web browser.

That address should be 192.168.123.254
- unless somebody has changed it. Did someone else set up your SMC initially?

stong
04-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Adding password protection is a great idea. You need to get to the router's web configuration pages to do it.

Did you try the address listed as "Router" in your System Preferences? Copy and paste the address there into your web browser.

That address should be 192.168.123.254
- unless somebody has changed it. Did someone else set up your SMC initially?

i tried the router id number from system preferences, but it asks for a user name and pw, which i never added. my brother installed the router when i was back at home. now im in college and i installed this router. when i installed it, it was just plug and play...thats why i got a mac. but now im just having trouble with adding a pw. but then again i didnt get a mac airport base. cant complain tho since the router was given to me from my bro.

mclbruce
04-20-2004, 01:17 AM
i tried the router id number from system preferences, but it asks for a user name and pw, which i never added. my brother installed the router when i was back at home. now im in college and i installed this router. when i installed it, it was just plug and play...thats why i got a mac. but now im just having trouble with adding a pw. but then again i didnt get a mac airport base. cant complain tho since the router was given to me from my bro.
You are making progress! You are absolutely right, an Airport Base Station would be much simpler. Time to download the User Guide if you don't have one:

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Support&pg=Download-Details&prod=2&site=c

The name and password is in there, it's supervisor and admin I think, most brands have admin as the password. The short version of what to do is navigate to the wireless password page on the web site and enter a 10 digit number for the wireless password. A phone number will do, at least here in the US. Once you have set the wireless password in the base station then you enter the same number in your iBook. On the iBook you have to indicate the number is 40 bit hex.

stong
04-20-2004, 04:56 PM
i entered the ip address found on system preferences under router, and i typed in the user name/pw you suggested and i got into my neighbors router website! i went into the linksys website which my neighbor uses?!? i dont know what is going on now. i guess i'll wait and tell my brother to work on it.

mclbruce
04-20-2004, 07:56 PM
I think you are using your neighbor's wireless network! I bet if you turn off your wireless router you will still be on the Internet.

You can change networks using Internet Connect. Maybe you can find your network that way.

daniel3625
04-20-2004, 07:57 PM
this has been a question of mine for quite some time and have searched. i already tried the airport admin utility but it doesnt detect my router. maybe its because i have a smc router, not a mac airport? btw i have a ibook g3 if it matters. yes my wireless service works great and i installed my airport card properly. but i want to password protect my internet so people outside cant look into my computer. i know im worry too much. any help would be great! thanks!

With my netgear router you just go into our routers settings (usually 192.168.0.1) and click on wireless settings, check security options and select wep. Then you will be required to setup a wep code. It should be fairly easy from there.