PDA

View Full Version : Mount Windows CD as NTFS?

creativearc
03-20-2004, 10:54 AM
I've read related threads, but they seemed to be regarding mounting a hard drive volume as NTFS.

I'd like to mount a Windows CD directly to a mount point. Is this possible with mount_ntfs ?

I don't know the sequence, because by inserting the CD, it automounts on the desktop, and I can't mount_ntfs after that point.

Why am I doing this? My PC doesn't have a working CD-ROM, so I'm trying to load an install CD and copy the files to the PC. My Mac (Panther) is only recognizing the files on the disk visible to a Mac.

thanks!

trevor
03-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Windows CDs are recorded in ISO9660 format, not NTFS. Hence, to mount them from the Terminal would use mount -r -t cd9660 or else mount_cd9660, not mount_ntfs.

Trevor

creativearc
03-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by trevor
Windows CDs are recorded in ISO9660 format, not NTFS. Hence, to mount them from the Terminal would use mount -r -t cd9660 or else mount_cd9660, not mount_ntfs.

Trevor

Thanks! How do I handle that when the CD is in the drive, though? Panther automatically mounts it and the device becomes busy.

df output:

/dev/disk3s1s2 39684 39684 0 100% /Volumes/Retrospect Clients

mount output:

sudo mount -r -t cd9660 /dev/disk3s1s2 /mnt/ mount_cd9660: Device busy

trevor
03-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Probably you will need to type this:

sudo umount /Volumes/CDName
sudo mount -r -t cd9660 -v /dev/disk3s1 /Volumes/CDName

Note that I used /dev/disk3s1 and NOT /dev/disk3s1s2. I'm guessing that disk3s1 is the PC partition and disk3s1s2 is the Mac partition. (And yes, that really is umount, not unmount. There's no n in that command.)

Also note that when you want to unmount this, you may have to do it manually, I'm not sure. To manually unmount the ISO9660 drive, type
sudo umount /Volumes/CDName
sudo rm -ir /Volumes/CDName

Make very very sure that you get that last command correct, it is very dangerous to use sudo rm -r improperly, you can literally erase your entire drive if you had an extra space between the / and the Volumes. To be absolutely clear, it is
sudo {space} rm {space} {dash} ir {space} /Volumes/CDName where CDName is the name of the directory where you mounted the CD.

Trevor