PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Making Crunching Noises!

afro_puff
03-17-2004, 01:54 AM
I have an external hard drive and one day it just started to make this noise like a loud "annnngngngngng." Sort of like the sound of a car idling. I'm wondering if this might be grounds for a return (its about a year old but i think its still under warranty). I mean, this drive crashed once before, and then i got it replaced. Then it crashed again but after I got it up and running again it worked, although it has this noise. Its pretty loud and has recently gotten annoying. Any ideas as to WHY it would do this?

ulrichm
03-17-2004, 02:44 AM
What do you mean by HD 'crashing'? I guess your system crashed.
I have a HD which has been making this noise for about 2 years now every now and then. It comes and goes. Never had any problems. Could be the weather?!

DoubleEdd
03-17-2004, 03:20 AM
No idea, but I hope you're backing up regularly. It's been six or seven years since I last had a disk die on me in use, but when they did they'd all been making odd noises beforehand.

afro_puff
03-17-2004, 08:44 AM
By crash I mean that the disk became unreadable, typical "cannot read this disc, would you like to format" message.

As far as backing up goes, I only use this drive for my music and I have 65 gigs of it. The other 15 gigs go to emulation files and there is also a section for backup of the stuff on my internal hard drive.

I want to get another drive so I can keep a complete backup of my music but I am a poor college student so saving money to buy electronics and not food it quite hard.

I don't think its the weather.

My drive did start making these noises before it crashed for a second time, I just can't afford to get a new drive right now.

But back to my main question, do you think they will replace it? (the manufacturer)

ulrichm
03-17-2004, 09:02 AM
afro_puff: I do not know for sure if the manufacturer will replace it, but it sounds logical if the drive is only about a year old. It is certainly worth a try.