PDA

View Full Version : address book / mail.app aliases?

acrollet
04-09-2002, 09:13 AM
Does anyone know of a way to do aliases with the Mac os X addressbook / mail.app?

i.e., say I have a friend named Nanajiyan Fumaositja (not really, but for the sake of argument)

I'd like to be able to open a new message, type fu in the To: field, and have it fill in

Nanajiyan Fumaositja <fumoa@bla.bla.com>

(like in pine or mutt)

anyone have any ideas?

Roy Vincent
04-09-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by acrollet

I'd like to be able to open a new message, type fu in the To: field, and have it fill in

In OS 10.1 and later, the Address Book auto-completes. If you have a name and email address in that book, then when you hit "Compose" in Mail and so have a new mail message before you, you just have to type a last name into any of the boxes (To, CC, or BCC), and the full name and email address will appear in that box. (You can type just part of the last name as well.) If you have a number of people in your Address Book with the same last name, you will get a listing below the box you typed in and you can select one. (This also works by typing in just the first name as well.)

melg
04-09-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by acrollet

Mail has this ability already, if the person's name in your address book. Just type their first name and within a second or so, that name and address will autocomplete. If the person has more than one address (in your addressbook), all addresses will show and you can click the appropriate one.

acrollet
04-09-2002, 09:49 AM
i know about the auto-complete, but often my alias has nothing to do with the actual name of the person, and I don't want it to show up on the mail they receive... I can't figure out a way to make this work